• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Considering selling my M1009

Mike68

Hey Bairrfhion82,
Im a newbe on here so my 2 cents worth may not mean much. But Im in the same boat, I have 2 CJ's and a M1009 and 2 pickups. Im still in the process of getting my M1009 on the road, its really a good one and I plan on making it an almost daily driver. I may sell 1 of the CJ's but my solution for now is to drop my insurance to comp and park it untill I deciede. One of the CJ's I mean. Im not the best at spelling so bear with me:oops:.
If you sell it you will regret it, They are'nt making them anymore and good ones are getting rare. Same as CJ's.. I understand the needing cash, but if it were me I would really think about it, and I wouldnt give it away. A good one that you can get in and drive is worth alot of thought.

I would personally still find a way to keep it... its paid for and free and clear... and needs no work to get in and drive... its not going to cost you anything, except insurance... and your still on the fence in Selling..... trust me, you will be aua later once its gone.....

i have a late model Supercharged truck, and a old corvette... they'd go before my cucv... and my girlfriend would go to, if she was giving flak about selling it... lol

just my $.02

srs78

Compare how many guys would say " I've got a Porsche" as to how many guys who could proudly declare "I've got an ex-US Armed Forces M1009!" Also My $00.02.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bairrfhion82,

Looks like you've got a lot of votes for "keep it". I recently went through this same process when evaluating selling my wife's M416 and buying an M101A2. I bought it for her thinking that we'd get a lot of use out of it. It also is the same trailer used by her M422 and my M151A2. It came down to this: if we sell it, we'll never get another one. They are getting too hard to find that locating another one in a few years may be near impossible. It doesn't take up that much room. We may not be using it now but we might down the road. I'd rather keep it than live with seller's remorse.

I also understand your desire for a Tahoe PPV. I REALLY wanted one but couldn't afford one. I bought a Crown Vic Police Interceptor for my wife instead. She loves it. A 4 door sedan that tops out at 140 MPH! But I love my M1009. If SHTF, I have a 4x4 that can handle moderately deep water, no air bags or ABS (I don't trust them), and doesn't completely rely on a computer to function. Also, I rely heavily on my truck for hardware store runs.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do understand the 'new car' fever (or new to YOU)

been there, done that about twenty times in the past forty years

and I DO understand the sirens song a new car can be (and I've actually owned ONE actual new car - the rest were 'new to me' cars that I saw as new regardless their age).

Allow me to pose a few questions

1 - will you get back most of the money you put into THE BEAST if you sell it

2 - costs to insure each vehicle

3 - cost to purchase newer vehicle minus whatever you sell your other vehicle for

4 - cost to maintain a newer car WILL cost more money to repair, and will take more time to repair IN THE FUTURE - so where you are now with the M1009 you will eventually be with the new vehicle if you own it long enough

5 - cost to operate each vehicle

DON'T give into the sirens song a new vehicle sings - let things sit for ONE MONTH and then revisit your facts, figures and feelings again

It seems as if you wish to move on from the MV hobby. Rode a Harley for twenty years. Then went to MV's. So I do understand that for sure.

ONLY YOU can weigh all the variables and make a choice. And I will say that I did not mind owning what I had and then sold it and got something else.

Having said that, I've owned the Sub in my avatar since 2000. It's nice not having payments and KNOWING your vehicle inside and out. But that's just me.

Good luck with what ever your choice is

Bairrfhionn82

Well the PPV has a power train warranty for 2 more years and has 65.5k on the clock and my wife can climb in and out easier and it has air. See barely tolerates The Beast.Too loud and she does not like the diesel smell/noise. I also like that PPV has side curtain air bags. I am alive today because of air bags so I swear by them and my 65lb daughter can sit in the back because the PPV has 3 point seatbelts and rear head rest. The Beast has served me well and the MNNG but I need 1 vehical that can do people and animal transport K-9 easier

wayne pick

I have talked myself into selling a few vehicles in the past and regretted it. Ask 6K for it, That way you have some haggle room. If it's straight and clean, you'll get allmost that much for it. Check out some of the crap in the classifieds here going for 5K+, Your truck is well worth 6K.

cucv1833

I would KEEP it! I also need to do some down-grading. Too much stuff at once. But I got too much money and sentimental value in it more than its worth. I really dont use mine much but cant see getting rid of it.

On the other hand you should be able to get rid of it quick and get a little money back. Ive seen them listed as many others here probaly for $1K-$10K.
I think I paid a little extra for mine due to location and running condition.

Good Luck.

998Junkie

The Beast has served me well and the MNNG but I need 1 vehical that can do people and animal transport K-9 easier
Sounds like you made a decision and family should always come first. It doesn't hurt to try local sale and jack the price up to the most you think you can get. Look at what other comps are selling for then it's done.

Perhaps some day in the future when your done paying for your kids college you can find other projects to keep you busy.:beer:

Mike68

I dont have a pic of my M1009 yet. Will get my daughter to get one on here for me asap. Im not the best at this high tech stuff, but mine is really good Im lucky to have found it. No rust, great inside and out. The camo paint is a little faded. The dash is showing sun damage. It has 25,xxx miles. It spent most of its life at a Tenn. Gaurd unit, then a little time with a Tenn. Sheriffs Dept. Its been well taken care of. I guess you can tell Im proud of it!!:beer: The point Im getting to is he ask a price to put on it. I may have gave to much for mine but I would'nt be scared to drive it across country. I gave $6,500 for it. Im just waiting for the title so I can license it. So I guess if someone wants it bad enough like I did they will pay what you ask. Like I said in my earlier post they ar'nt making them anymore.

minimalist

Questions to ask yourself:

Do I have the space for it and the tahoe ppv?

Can I afford to keep it on insurance and register it?

Will I use it if I buy the tahoe?

I look at it this way. You probably have 3-4K of junk that you could sell that would equal the net sales of the cucv and apply it to the tahoe. I keep my cucv because:

It goes when others can't (ice or snow).
I'm not worried about scratching it up at the farm.
Pulls my small trailer better than my 3/4 ton suburban.
My kids just love it.
I can take the top off and the family can go to the drive through wildlife park (got pictures of a giraffe eating out of my son's hands sitting in the back).

I want to sell my cucv because:

Summer is dreadful driving around the microwave oven.
I'm not a experienced mechanic (nothing too bad so far).
Not real safe for kids in the back with no roll bar and over the shoulder belt (much custom work to adapt a 00-06 sububan 3rd seat to fit).
My wife won't drive it as a backup if her suburban breaks down.

NCH18

Around here you could get $5k easily if it's as good as it looks in pics. They're becoming more and more popular at the same time the supply is drying up. Good combo if you're a seller. I'd list it around $5-6k if you decide to sell.

wtmf

I had a 1969 Dodge 4X4 Power wagon with a 10 ton PTO winch that broke the 1/2 cable when I put the front bumper against a tree so not to be pulled along when I pulled another tree out, that I was told was a military because it had 8 leafs for the rear axle, for 15 years that I sold for $5000. It was an AWESOME truck and I miss it a little BUT I happy it has a good new home. It got 8 MPG so it is gone. I now have a multi fuel and will take all the free oil advertised on CL and not worry what I get for MPG the very few times I will drive it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks