• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Console / Stereo Installation?

Ddk2001

I'm wrapping up getting my HMMWV back together - and am looking at trying to install a stereo and speakers (likely just a bluetooth receiver - not complete stereo). I was going to install a bluetooth receiver in a gauge pod - but saw pictures of this from Midwest Military. It would solve my stereo and speaker problem - plus give me cup holders. I've contacted them about the console - but haven't heard back.

It looks to be built around a radio tray - bu I can't tell. Has anyone done something similar? I'd like to either buy something like this or build one - trying to figure out how.

Thx
-D
FullSizeRender.jpgFullSizeRender 2.jpg

Jeffmcclan

You might also look at the overhead console from the military guys.
Mine has speakers, power converter, amplifier and dome light.
it mounts between A & B pillar and Y's into wiper motor.
Only downside is we keep a soft top on in case of rain.

I have no affiliation other than being a customer.

asg13

Wet sounds amd boss make nice overhead bluetooth units. Amplified as well.
Boss units have usb ports for charging too

Chief_919

Take a setup like this one.

Or this one.

And mount it in an 40mm ammo can.

Use surface mounted Anderson Powerpoles in the side of the box to run power in.

Then you can have a more rugged and weather resistant setup that you can quickly disconnect power from and remove when you need to take the dogbox off. And if you wire a pigtail with the Anderson Powerpoles in other vehicles you can have it setup where you can move the box between vehicles or to the bed for camping/tailgating if you run a second pigtail to the rear..

Last edited:

Carrera911

Made this a few months back. All the details are in the modifications thread in early December. Added a 12 volt battery balancer. I run a alpine amp that gives 50 watts to each speaker. Easily heard at half volume cruising and full volume will make you deaf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ddk2001

1. Chief_919 - any pictures of that setup? I thought about using ammo cans - but am looking for pictures of a good setup. Ideally - I'd like to get a box big enough for something like that Boss BT receiver, a couple of reasonably-sized speakers, a small locking Glovebox , plus a phone charger / USB.
  2. Whistlepig - I like that setup too. What kind of box is that? Do you have pictures with the speakers added?
  3. Carrera911 - thanks for the pics - I'll have a look at your earlier posts.
  4. Jeffmcclan - I looked at that setup. I like the idea of the dome light - but am not sure I want everything else up there. I have thought about just building a similar console - with limited equipment - so it's more water resistant. If I went that route - I'd put the BT receiver in a gauge pod and mount it like the factory tach. I really don't think I want the speakers up there though . . .
Thx D

Last edited:

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
tomcata3 posted a picture of one briefly. It might have been his rig. You should ask him because it looked good and it looked similar to what you're asking about.

Best,

T

Ddk2001

I have multiple different radio trays in classifieds if you want to start with OE shelf over dog house.
Thanks. I've already got a radio tray to start with . . . I think I'm going to fabricate something with wood / cardboard and then talk to someone about making it from aluminum or sheet metal . . .
-D

Ddk2001

I mocked up a console with some foam board. A couple of 4 1/2" speakers and a blue tooth receiver on the top part - cup holders will go on the larger shelf - and I'm likely going to put a locking glovebox on the front face. Going to add some USB outlets and might try some small LED lights for cabin lighting. I'll add some rubber matting to the horizontal surfaces to set stuff down.

Ive got the dual voltage alternator - so I'm going to run the 14v charge line to my back battery to feed a 12v distribution box in the console - with a battery cutoff switch.

Just gotta find find someone to fab the box out of 1/4" aluminum.

IMG_0440.jpg

Wire Fox

While this isn't really an install, this is what I've been using: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LPZNQ3Q?psc=1

Waterproof, supports bluetooth (music, GPS, calling), has a suction cup to stick right to the glass, is removable... It's a pretty good-to-go setup for what I need! Basically $10 and 10 seconds of your time installs one. Charge it via typical microUSB port. You can either tether it to such a charge adapter in the HMMWV at extra expense, or just enjoy it 8 hours at a time, remembering to charge it before the next ride.

Havok

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While this isn't really an install, this is what I've been using: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LPZNQ3Q?psc=1

Waterproof, supports bluetooth (music, GPS, calling), has a suction cup to stick right to the glass, is removable... It's a pretty good-to-go setup for what I need! Basically $10 and 10 seconds of your time installs one. Charge it via typical microUSB port. You can either tether it to such a charge adapter in the HMMWV at extra expense, or just enjoy it 8 hours at a time, remembering to charge it before the next ride.
I do the exact samething with a different unit. Also got some boat cup holders that just sit on the plywood insulation and they dont slide around but you can move them when you want to!

Ddk2001

So - here's what I ended up doing. I built an ammo box out of wood to size, and bolted it to the radio tray. 12v power supply to the ammo box - installed a battery cutoff switch there - and a fuse block to feed accessories. I have a couple of USB charging ports, and LED license plate lights for interior light - all part of the ammo box.

I cut a couple of cup holders into the radio tray.

Then - I picked up an old .30 Cal ammo can (had to search for one small enough) and installed a cam lock so it'll lock. Some small spacers underneath so i can open/close the door and bolted it to the radio tray.

IMG_0496.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks