• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Contact bed Photos

IowaFamilyGuy

Hi guys,

I just spent the better part of an hour and a half trying any combo of CMV Bed looking for pics.

I've found a ton of shots from the sides, and with the doors open on the sides. I'm looking for photos from the back.

Could one of you esteemed 1028 CMV owners snap a circle of photos, including some detailed ones of the back?

I know I want a 1028, but I will need storage too, but I also need to be able to haul stuff to, so if you could let me see what they are like, it will help me to decide...

Thanks for helping me out, oh, and if the photos are already out there (I am sure they are) could you send me a link?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here you go, Google Images "M887 Contact Maintenance". Photo credit Olive Drab.com. My question is, do you really want the M1028 with a 1970's vintage Wisconsin V4HD gasoline engine generator/welder, or a 1987 M1031 with the cool PTO driven generator?

Attachments

IowaFamilyGuy

You are my HERO! The box looks pretty much close to normal bed size, and that was my concern. Both sound cool, although the PTO one sounds more complex, off the top of my head. I'll have to go learn me some! Thanks NDT!

MARCO1031

I have the older SECM body on my 1031. It had the Wisconsin powered welder generator in it when I bought it. If you click on my avatar and then click on the album you will find several pics of the body and compartments. The inside of the body is just over 4 feet wide and with the old welder generator out is just under 8 feet long. If you need any other pics or dimensions let me know.

IowaFamilyGuy

Awesome. The 4x8 was my big concern, hauling plywood and such. You have a great looking truck Shawn!

I was never with a Maint platoon, the most I ever worked with was a shop truck. Otherwise it was 5Tons or 998s for me.

MARCO1031

The plywood fits fine from side to side but you will need to leave the tailgate down. The height is just over 4 feet. The thing I really like is that I can load up the center with all kinds of stuff then close it up and it is out of the weather and out of site. My wife and I hit Home Depot last week for garden supplies. After loading it with way too many bags of mulch and top soil we had to load up about 40 cement blocks. The truck actually rode pretty nice on the way home but other than that I could hardly tell the load was there.

IowaFamilyGuy

Hey guys, just spent the last little bit learning me up some. Looks like the Wisconsin may be the lower power, but more versatile, and the PTO may be the more powerful.

Has anyone tried installing a Miller or Hobart welder/gen into an SECM? Put a solid AC Compressor in there too, and you could do the Army set up with better logic and design.

I'd like to be able to really use this as a portable shop. Does anyone have opinions on the best setup to them?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the same body as Shawn. It was on a Dodge M887 but is now setup on a 1 ton trailer chassis. I also have the welder/generator out of Shawns truck. Now that it's in a trailer format, the Wisconsin is just way too heavy. I'd love to acquire a Mller Trailblazer and convert it to run dual fuel and operate it off propane since that is what I use for my cutting torch. This project, along with every other project, takes me forever to complete.

MARCO1031

Hey Kenny I know what you mean about projects taking forever. I had picked up an old kohler genset to put in my truck. I got it in and bolted down but never finished wiring it up. The more I thought about it the more I wanted to have the genny on the same fuel as the truck. So out came the kohler and now Im shopping for a diesel genny. Know anyone that has one they just have to get rid of?

IowaFamilyGuy

Hey there Diesel, nice set up. Lots of great ideas to use for my planning. Is that small motor in the center the genset? It doesn't seem to take up as much space as the gas fired ones...