• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Containers for wmo/wmo mix

banditt1979

Hi guys, I am working on converting my old waste oil into fuel for my multifuel and was wondering what type of containers we like to use. I picked up two white 55 gallon food grade drums thinking I could easily see the fuel level and mark it for easy mixing ratios. But my concern is folks on the net saying the plastic will degrade and leak over time. I want to keep my fuel long term say a couple years as a reserve before we move. Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated!

Last edited:

87cr250r

You need to watch this, I think. It is a parody of what you have done.

With that said, I hope you're using conductive hoses and pump. I have personally seen a static discharge from a hand truck filter cart that was using non-conductive hoses.

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I was first starting out with WVO about 30yrs ago, I employed a gaggle of jerrycans and did the mixing by hand, dumping from one can to another.. For storage, I relied on the growing stash of plastic 5-gallon motor/hyd/gear oil pails. This kept handling weight to a minimum.. Those oil pails have handles, removable tops, and are stackable.. But as the processed oil supply outgrew my pails and jerrycans, I switched to using standard 275g heating oil tanks...

275's might work well for you because they can be found cheap, have the fuel level gauge, and some have a bottom drain port.. I also have four 300g steel farm (skid) tanks, but I have them for normal fuels and require sticking for level monitoring... Whenever I ran out of storage for the WVO,, 55g steel drums on pallets worked fine.

I built a filtering outfit from a couple 55g steel drums and a couple oil-rated pumps to move product between drums, through the filters, and dispensing.. Everything is grounded for static because of flammables used in the mix... At the final filter set is a long standard dispensing hose with nozzle to direct-fill trucks and heavy equip etc... Portable, the whole outfit rides on a low-profile covered trailer .. I found out last spring it was not bear proof, but obviously you will not have that problem with WMO . ;)

Last edited:

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The blue plastic water jugs/barrels work fine, I stored my dieselgas concoction in them for years. If you have the room, the smaller the better. They can be stacked. 15 gallon drums are the largest I would go with if I were to do it again. They are haevy but can be moved with a hand truck. Any larger you need a lifting and transporting device.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks