• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Contemplating a Bobber! To do or not to do that is the question!

JerseyHick

I used a GMC C7000 master cylinder on my bobbed/hot rod. 1 3/4 bore. I planned on using hydroboost like 350tacozilla said. But it stops fine without it.. And, due to space limiting factors, my pedal ratio is only 3.5:1.
With a better pedal ratio you may be good.. If not go hydroboost.

Last edited:

cumminsbandit

Here is what i did. Just removed air pack and hooked it up as if it were never there. i rebuilt the master cyl an ran all new lines to the T on the frame. All the rest of the break lines look good. Just surface rust. i also removed the break light switch. I think thats what that thing was under the cab?! ha

Attachments

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you still have the electric parking brake solenoid?
I was contemplating the Hydro-boost for my off road m211 So I could gain PS and PB. How is your brake peddle? Wondering if there is enough volume with each stroke for all 12 wheel cylinders?

cumminsbandit

The peddle goes down 3-4 inches and is hard. It matches the steering. haha. Is it that thing in the break line with the wires coming out of it just after the master cyl? If it is, i might still have it... If not im sure its still on one of my parts trucks.

Section8

Ok. Herebis another thought for those who are skilled in being able to fab some cool stuff.
I am presently taking my class1 license with air brake endorsement, and after doing the air brake course, it got me thinking.
How hard would it be to put full air brake systems on these trucks?
I mean a full primary and secondary system so the front and rears are independant of each other and reduces the risk of complete brake system failure.
I am really looking at this. Reliable and a dual system.
Thoughts.......

Section8

So the full air brake system is a no go. After looking into drum sizes and such nothing is really close to the same specs. There is a guy close by, 4 hours drive, that has full air brake conversions for five tons but said it would not fit my application. He would be extremely happy to sell me five ton axles set up for it though. I would be happy to sell someone those to for 3000 a piece!
So the continuing saga of how to get brakes working remains.
First and foremost!
Gotta get that cummins locked in the engine bay!
I am really reluctant to weld to the frame. If I do though do you all think it to be better to box the frame where the mounts will be or the front clip entirely or just weld my frame mounts to the old frame rail?

nattieleather

Just weld your frame mounts to the frame rails. It will be just fine. Skip the air brake idea and go with disk brakes. Actually the original brakes on the truck when working properly work very well. But if you want to redo them I'd look into disk brakes off of a large GMC truck and mount them up. Just my thought anyway.

Section8

Well I was kinda hit with another slap in the face today. The M135 with the water tanker that has been sitting in a farm field near me for 20 plus years just got sold out from under me since I do not have a dime to my name at the moment. Ok. Not to big a deal I guess.
I have also been looking for an air compressor for my 12v cummins along with different tranny options.
I got a response from a salvage and used heavy truck dealer in Vancouver. They not only have the air compressor but a couple different tranny options. They have an AT545, 5 speed NV4500, Getrag 5 speed ( which I already have) , and a 7 speed Spicer.
Totally awesome since I am going to be starting a new job soon that will pay a bit better than I was doing at the lumber mill.
Here is where the big slap in the face comes in. The wife and I were discussing things we would like to do and I mentioned the parts for my truck and such. My turns around and points out to me that I may be able to get it running. And build it the way I want but how will we be able to use it. With the cost of fuel now these days it is pointless to have a vehicle such as these, getting 3 to 5 mpg.
I had planned on building this rig into my daily driver service rig but now I don't know if I should even bother.
Plowboy might just have to come out with a flat deck and haul not only the engine and tranny away but the whole shebang. Minus the cummins since I could get at least my money back for it. Mind you I would still losing money since I traded my Harley for the motor and the motor is probably only worth 2 grand.
I hate being bankrupt and the fact that the cost of living these day is outrageous!
All I want is a good job that pay good money so I can support my family and be able to things with out debating on using money to buy fuel to get to work or pay a bill for the month or get groceries for the week.
So needless to say I think the build I at a stop or maybe even an end at this point.
Why build something you will never be able to use like you wanted or even at all.

Last edited:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Aye Captain, don't know how kids born in the 80's and 90's are doing it. Sorry to hear that the plans are changing, but they do....then your children turn twenty......money doesn't flow out of the milk carton anymore....and you start again.

I'll pasture it for you until you can get back at it. Then you can mooooove it back to your new ranch once yer all set up, take as long as you want.

Section8

The wife points out that the rig is fine sitting rusting, err ummm, resting till we get out of debt.
Only way I see that happening is if I manage by some miracle to be hired by an oil company. Applied to lots but my 12 years of heavy equipment experience doesn't seem to be an asset. Hope that having my class 1 license helps.

Section8

It seems the gods of green just don't want me to give up.
I have been working an old career of highway paving with a new company. They seem to like what I do and value what I know. Have been given two raises in a month period of work.
On top of that, while yapping the mechanic about my project, I am told of an old international single axle medium duty truck that cOuld be used as parts. I am told the engine on this particular truck has bad sleeves and leaks coolant but runs just fine on nothing but water. Come winter though it has to be drained or the oil pan fills with all the water. The cabs mounts are also rusted right through the floor.
So for the right price I could have the whole truck minus the tires or just take what parts I think I could use for a discounted price.
Upon looking the truck over I found a hydro-max brake system on the truck with the master cylinder stamped as 2 inch bore! I also thinking the radiator might be a close match to. The one I traded on earlier was found to have a huge hole in It.
I may just have to grab the hydro-max brake system and radiator. Heck probably take the powersteering pump and steering box to!!!
Just depends what they want for all the truck or by the piece.
Kinda stoked! I figured the dream was dead but the gods of green keep throwing little bones my way to keep me awake a nights pondering different things in how to get the truck going.
I was also in negotiations with a guy close to home, 4 hours away, about getting his parts trucks cab and front drive shaft. Think that has fallen apart since I haven't heard from the guy in about a month. Oh well.

Section8

In case you are wondering why I am excited about finding a hydro-max brake system with a 2 inch bore master cylinder, you should check out "Hydro-Max Brake Assist with pics (long read)" in the hot rod deuce forum. It is a long read but super INFORMATIVE. The fellow who has done the upgrade to his deuce, non bobbed, reported that it will stop on a dime and give 8 cents change. Plus it an be made to work as dual system so that if you lose some braking in one circuit you will have a second circuit.
If you are looking for an upgrade to your current brakes this one is as good as it gets to my mind. Could even be used with stock brakes or discs if a guy gets inventive.

Last edited:

Section8

Yeehaaw!!! I got my Hydro-Max master brake cylinder.
All I had to do was pull a water tank off, water pump, PTO drive with shaft, and hydraulic pump and gears from a decommissioned rig in the yard of the paving company I am now working for.
I was also gonna grab the steering box and power steering pump. The power steering pump won't work with the cummins but may be able to sell it to get one that will.
I was told the truck won't disappear soon so since we are moving on to a new job further away I don't have to worry about missing out on parts. Ganna grab the old air ride seats to!!
Plans now are as such.
Keep kickin away at the old girl if I can.
Install the Hydro-Max brake booster and keep the air system for accessories and on board tools.
Hoping to make enough money this summer to be able to buy an air compressor with piggyback powersteering pump.
Also STILL have to make frame rail engine mounts and tranny mounts to lock the drive train down.
Embarrassing when you still haven't done something like that because your scared to screw up.

Attachments

Section8

Well I got a huge surprise from the wife and kids today!
They bought me a truck! It is an international 1600/1700 single axle rig.
I have been looking at it for quite some time but never did anything about it since our finances are supremely tight.
Well behind my back the wife and kids bought this truck with their combined savings for 500 dollars. They said they bought it because I do everything for my family and never ask anything in return for myself. I give all the time to them so that they can have the things they want. So they wanted to do something special for me to say thank you. Needless to say I am feeling totally unworthy of such a gift from my family and am deeply touched.
They got it for me weeks ago they said. My wife was going to surprise me with it on our anniversary in October, however her people she had lined up to tow it to our farm backed out due to poor access to our place.
She told me early because she doesn't know how to get it here for me.
The truck has no brakes at the moment so it isn't road legal per say but who knows it my find its way here in the dark some night soon.
I plan to either strip it for parts and use the service/flat deck or just swap my M135 cab and axles, with transfer case of course, to the international.
It has the same frame width as our M135/M211's. The power steering is one of the main things I was looking at for my M135 to swap over and the deck. Well worth the 500 bucks my family paid.
It also has air ride drivers seat and registration papers. Something which my M135 does not. People have been telling me that is going to be a big hassle to get and I may do all the work to my rig and never be able to legally get it on the road.
Well either way I have a great family and feel truly blessed and loved.
No to get it home and renew planning and or start all over.
Thank you God for the great love of my beautiful wife and kids!

tobyS

I've made a tow bar for vehicles without brakes by putting a chain through a piece of square tube (or pipe) and connecting it somewhat tight. Works great to keep a distance while stopping.

I'll never forget towing an MGA that way and looking back when first pulling from a barn and seeing my friend with mice running everywhere and the look on his face.
I went for a bus about 20 miles away on an early Sunday morning with my son "driving" (steering) the bus. Works great. I suggest safety bolting or wiring the chain as a hook can come lose.

Good luck!

Section8

Got the new to me international home this week. Took some doing. After having to get the previous owner to track down the registration papers he lost, then having to get him to get the truck transferred into his name from the owner he bought it from so that I could get it in my name and be able to get permits to drive it home. Total time for that one week.
Then having to do a redneck fix to get it to run since he took the propane conversion off and returned it to gas.
I removed the antifreeze reservoir off the side of the radiator and plumbed it to the carb for fuel delivery since there was no gas tank on the truck. I then had to top up all fluids and do a quick brake flush and bleed. The previous owner saw fit to plumb his restored gas burners antifreeze system into the vacuum system of the brakes.
Once all was said and done and permit in place I set out on the 15km journey home.
Well I made it about 6kms.
Turns out the alternator wasn't wired to the battery so the truck sucked the battery dry during my trip and previous fixings.
My wife had to run her truck up to the fellow I got the truck from to come down with his 1 ton dodge to tow me home the best of the way.
What a great guy. He laughed all the while and said he was impressed I got it to run that long. Towed me home and helped me with the brake bleed and all the running around he did for papers for the truck.
The international now sits in the yard waiting to find out Its fate. Whether it is to become my frame donor for a cab, axle swap or a parts truck for the suspension and powersteering, welders flat deck, etc...
Sending off to ICBC (insurance and registration) people the data plate numbers of the M135 to see if it has been registered in bc before and whether or not I can register it at all.

Last edited:

Section8

Thanks muchly.
I hope to get some real work done on my truck in this next year.
I filed for bankruptcy this week so that will free up some money that my family desperately needs. Kinda depressing when you are constantly forced to choose between getting enough groceries between paychecks or paying minimums on debts.
Once the term ends in hopefully a few months I can put some money aside for the build and get the real thread on the build going, unless people would rather I just keep on with this thread.
I am really excited about having the international for either parts or a donor frame/body swap.
Especially getting powersteering set up and hydro max brakes.

Section8

Had an awesome day here on the ranch!
M1010plowboy and a buddy (Dean) came out for a quick visit and to pick up the 302 and hydro magic tranny from my rig.
Couple awesome guys and good stories. We managed to get the old engine loaded on his truck for the long journey back to the G749 farm with the old farm tractor.
Once Plowboy had it all tied down and squared away I loaded him up with some other goodies he can hopefully use. Mirrors, the air cleaner, motor mounts, what was left of the wiring harness, head lights, mostly rotten exhaust that he can use the flanges off of and my freshly cleaned and refurbished master brake cylinder.
Sure hope Plowboys can get some good use out of most of it.
It was a real pleasure to finally meet Plowboy and his good friend Dean. I'm really looking forward to the next visit. Maybe next time out he can spend some more time and camp out with his old lady and hopefully with Gracie! Take some good pics by the creek.
Maybe turn some wrenches and spin a few more tales.
Thanks for the geat visit man!!

snowyrivers

Interesting project.

The 6.2 is a nice choice, but the 700R will never stand the rigors of yarding around a rig of that weight.

The innards are just too small to deal with it.

I have broken more than my fair share of 700 parts.

We recently snatched up an Allison AT545 for our build.

This tranny was designed to handle a weight of 30k and will take what the little 6.2 has to offer in stride.

Good luck on your build

Snowy

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks