• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Contemplating a Bobber! To do or not to do that is the question!

Satchimo

Definitely interested to see what you do with this. I have gone back and forth with the idea to bob mine as well. I'm kind of in the same boat, mine is far too modified to take it back to original, and I believe I would drive it more if it were bobbed.

If you're interested, I can take some pics of how my engine/trans setup is mounted. I currently have a 400sb chevy with a 4 speed manual installed. I will be swapping the manual for a th400 in a couple months. Just an option for you.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you're interested, I can take some pics of how my engine/trans setup is mounted. I currently have a 400sb chevy with a 4 speed manual installed. I will be swapping the manual for a th400 in a couple months. Just an option for you.
PLEASE post some pics!
What is your top speed?

Section8

Here is a sketch I threw together of what I am thinking to with my rig once I bob it.
Keep in mind I will be moving the front rear axle back to the mid point of the old tandem set up.
Unless I come across some major design problems!!!
As of present, again, my top speed is 0mph! Due to my engine being hooped!!
Hope I posted the pic properly and that you all enjoy it and have lots of feed back for me!
Still trying to figure out the logistics of how to bob the truck but the rims are looking good!
Enjoy! Hope this works

Attachments

Titanium Soldier

Looks like a pretty sweet idea, def one of a kind! when i bobbed my deuce, i also put my axle in the middle of the tandem setup.. looks way more balanced and not as stumpy as some others! but to each their own!

nattieleather

Looks like a plan. I personnally am not a big fan of storage bins, but that is just me. I still think a G506 style bed would work really well. A wood bed would look cool too since it's of that time period where some trucks still had wood beds.

How far are you going to extend the cab. Enough for a bench seat or jump type seats like in a regular pick-up?

Gunfreak25

Your sketch looks familiar! [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7ndhKsZ6NE[/media]

Actually I think yours will look a lot better. I can see a HMMWV motor rockin your bobber.
Are you going to go 4 door? I think that would look really nice!

Section8

I plan on extending the cab just far enough to put a bench seat in behind the front seats for the troops, kids. Got two boys a girl and working on another. I would prefer not to have to extend the cab but it was the one stipulation the wife gave me in order to get the truck, has to be family capable.
I do not want to have a four door though. If I did it that way I might as well leave it in stock form and just build a custom bed shortened.
As far as the storage bins, I need them on the rig for all of my tools. I am a heavy equipment operator/ rancher/ business owner, so it is a huge benefit for me to be able to haul my tools. Especially if my rig breaks down somewhere!
I am still at a bit of a stand still with bobning the truck right now since I am unsure how to go about doing it since I am trying to figure out what to do with the dog bones on the axle and placing them once the rear axle goes.
Some one needs to make a bob your deuce dvd! I would buy it in a heart beat, even if it was 50 bucks!!
I am also looking for a good replacement motor/tranny for the rig. The big paper weight that's occupying the engine bay is useless except for parts for some one.
Thinking about a 6.2 or 6.5 diesel with a manual 6 or 7 speed.
For now I have cleaned up 5 of the 6 rims and repainted gloss black. Next is the bumper and then sheet metals!!
Keep the feed back coming!! Helps with the creative juices.
Also wondering if I should be posting in the 2.5 mod forum since I think this is a purists forum. Don't want to make anyone cranky!!

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M135 tool box

Hey Little Fort Section8, The easiest thing to do is keep this thread and just add your adventure's, plans, pics, successes right here. If something new comes up just keep it under this thread and put a topic in the subject line. Keep one thread updated and everyone will chime in with back-up.....just slightly after you need it.

The tool box in your drawing looks like my old M135 box rotting in the field and killing my grass.

I can get some measurements for you if you think it might work.

Attachments

Last edited:

Section8

That box looks awesome M1010plowboy! That is pretty close to what I am thinking of doing. I would have to do some serious shortening on it to make it fit my frame after I bob the truck.
Weight might be another issue. Looks pretty beefy! Was looking at some storage boxes from a local manufacture who can make them from aluminum, cost a fortune though!
Can't believe your letting that box go to waste! Didn't like it on your truck?
Let me know what you think you might want for it, though I have no idea how I would get it out here! LOL!
If I could get mine running I would run out to edmonton, used to be my old stomping ground out in Sherwood Park area!
What kind of tires are on that rig?

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Box and Tires

I haven't tried to sell the box so if it can be put to use it's one less thing to run into.
I'll take some measurements. Depending on what you're doing, a little weight might be good on the back axle....but If you keep it light, a pick-up can pull you out. Oh decisions!

The tires are Bridgestone 10.00 20 radials, unfortunately a little weathered. They're only 42"......

Section8

Unfortunately as you say, decisions decisions.
As it stands right now I will have to put the bed to rest. I am trying to not get to ahead of myself with this rebuild/build.
My wife keeps telling me I am going in circles with all the things I plan to do and to just stick with stripping and repainting parts for now. Unless I find a motor and tranny for a steal that I will be happy with.
Plus I have to get my hands on that old cab that a fella out my way has so that I can do the extension.
Then once I get the old girl to fire up and run, worry about putting a service body on the chassis.
I would also like to get so 395's for the truck and rims that will fit properly with out squeezing the tire on .

trucknut

After the Canadian army sold off the m135's a bunch were used in New brunswick to haul pulp wood. The guys doing this were putting school bus motors and transmissions in them. Even with a single speed transfer they ran good.

Section8

I would love to be able to find an older school bus out this way to use as a donor for motor, tranny, and possibly hydro boost for the brakes.
Unfortunately in my neck of the woods they aren't that easy to come across.
I have been on the look out for anything that may be a decent swap.
Till then I continue to keep cleaning things up and repainting as I can.

Section8

I had an 2001 ford f350 with a 7.3 in it and found it to be a decent motor till I rolled the truck!
Not sure it would fit to well in the engine bay of the old GM. I don't want to have to cut up the fire wall to squeeze an engine in if I don't have to.
I have an 89 gmc 1ton dually sitting here on the farm with a 6.2 in it with a 4 on the floor. Might end up using the motor from it this summer once money starts flowing again.
Just would like to have a little more horse power and torque for the mountain roads here.
Six speed tranny would be great to for the low range on starts and od for cruizing.
And yes I plan on replacing the drive shafts before I get the usual comments about shafts twisting from to much torque!
Still have a ways to go before I do the engine swap anyway.
Gotta strip, paint, stretch the body, and bob the rear axle first. Plus all other odds and ends that need repairing or replacing as I go.
Plus still considering ring and pinion swap to 5.43!

Rockcrusher

if you were ever around troutman nc i have an engine that isnt stuck but head is bad rocker shafts were rusted an bent a bunch of pushrods thats as far as i looked but did turn over

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks