• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Continental's CMD-350; a 350HP multifuel engine

JasonS

Continental developed a 350HP engine based on the 478 cubic inch "multifuel" engine.

Some interesting features other than the power output:
  1. Variable compression ratio: a high of 17:1 and a low of 10:1
  2. The BSFC was 0.380 lb/ hp*hr which is actually better than the LDS engine
  3. Still using the American Bosch PSB injection pump
  4. Aftercooler built into the intake
  5. Aluminum heads, oil filter housing, and rocker covers

Attachments

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm so glad "they" know the bottom end can handle those ponies...

I don't, having seen hundreds of LDS & LDT engines at Yermo with the center web blown out.

The old MSG there called them light bulb motors, 'cause you never know when they would blow out...

rustystud

Continental developed a 350HP engine based on the 478 cubic inch "multifuel" engine.

Some interesting features other than the power output:
  1. Variable compression ratio: a high of 17:1 and a low of 10:1
  2. The BSFC was 0.380 lb/ hp*hr which is actually better than the LDS engine
  3. Still using the American Bosch PSB injection pump
  4. Aftercooler built into the intake
  5. Aluminum heads, oil filter housing, and rocker covers
Thanks Jason. That is some cool information !

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm so glad "they" know the bottom end can handle those ponies...

I don't, having seen hundreds of LDS & LDT engines at Yermo with the center web blown out.

The old MSG there called them light bulb motors, 'cause you never know when they would blow out...

After seeing your response it makes me wonder if the web blew our from the crank breaking in two or the web broke and took out the crank. I had never wondered that until now. I had just assumed the crank broke.

Either way, it was something to see and hear when I started the truck up.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would love to see a diagram of the design.
This is just one of multiple solutions for VCR....

Not sure though, which way they went at Continental. The brochure talks about hydraulically operated pistons "whose position relative to the crank pin ...." so I guess what they used are these variable-length con rods, with their eccentric piston pins. The pin itself does not vary its distance to the piston; only to the crank pin.
1668452001888.png 1668452164566.png 1668452348192.png

rustystud

This is just one of multiple solutions for VCR....

Not sure though, which way they went at Continental. The brochure talks about hydraulically operated pistons "whose position relative to the crank pin ...." so I guess what they used are these variable-length con rods, with their eccentric piston pins. The pin itself does not vary its distance to the piston; only to the crank pin.
View attachment 884334 View attachment 884336 View attachment 884337
The question that remains is how did they activate the pistons ? Was there two oil holes drilled into the crank per piston ? One hole providing oil for the bearings and then the other providing the oil needed to move the piston in the piston ? I wonder.

HDN

The question that remains is how did they activate the pistons ? Was there two oil holes drilled into the crank per piston ? One hole providing oil for the bearings and then the other providing the oil needed to move the piston in the piston ? I wonder.
That's all I can figure, like a hydrauluc spool on an excavator, except it's spinning a lot faster o_O

Gypsyman

My brain went straight to this question too Rusty.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It actually works by varying the oil pressure in the crank.

Here's some reading to it and two (hydraulic) schematics, taken directly from Toyota's patent:
(still need to find the list of components, in order to better understand all those numbers...)

"Toyota idea takes a conventional connecting rod and mounts the top of it to a pair of hydraulically controlled pistons. By adjusting the oil pressure, a switching pin and check valve would be able to alter which of these pistons compresses. By doing so, the length of the connecting rod changes between two lengths – a high-compression and low-compression setting.
Generally when the switching pin (*) receives a certain amount of oil pressure, the connecting rod would be in its longer length, and the engine would operate at the high compression ratio. Alternatively when the oil pressure falls below a predetermined level, the connecting rod would be in its shorter length and be in the lower compression ratio. However, the patent is clear that the company could configure the change in oil pressure have the opposite effect, too."

--------------

(*) That would be #81, clearly

1668535831106.png 1668536097664.png

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Interesting. I thought perhaps it worked like the old International/McCormic tractors that started on gas and swapped over to diesel. They simply used an extra valve that allowed the gas side of things to work by increasing the combustion chamber volume (and hid the spark plug away from the cylinder). Then switched closed to allow the cylinder to achieve the higher compression needed of the diesel operation.

The varied oil pressure from the crank would allow it to operate more dynamically though. But I bet this setup lends to interesting failures.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting. I thought perhaps it worked like the old International/McCormic tractors that started on gas and swapped over to diesel. They simply used an extra valve that allowed the gas side of things to work by increasing the combustion chamber volume (and hid the spark plug away from the cylinder). Then switched closed to allow the cylinder to achieve the higher compression needed of the diesel operation.

The varied oil pressure from the crank would allow it to operate more dynamically though. But I bet this setup lends to interesting failures.
We still don't know what exactly Continental did to achieve VCR. Clearly, this engine never went into mass-production. Guessing high cost was a big factor, as well as many more parts to fail...

rustystud

I was thinking the same thing about failures too. Like what happens when a bearing starts to get loose due to wear and oil pressure drops on that rod only. Lets say oil pressure drops on that rod and that piston change it's compression and the others don't. Now we have a severe compression imbalance.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My neighbor has a McCormick-Deering Farmall tractor that is set up that way. It’s pretty cool.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks