• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Control arm slid off mount... (!!!) Dog bone

DinoShepherd

So there I was driving along minding my own business. Braked into a left hand corner. Felt a thunk like a wheel locked up and the drive started driving odd.

Fortunately was about a half mile from home. So I rolled home and did a quick walk around. The right side wheels are touching. This is not a good thing, I thought.

Further quick investigation shows that on the second axle (front rear), the passenger side, lower control arm slid off the axle.side mount. The allowed the whole axle to move back on the passenger side.

This is would seem to be a bad thing.

I searched, but couldn't find this as common.
what happened?
how do I fix this?

......... EDIT....

So it seems the part is properly calls a torque arm and that there are bushings at both ends that are pressed in.

One of of mine apparently came unpressed.

Somthe he cure is to remove the arm. Press new bushing in, reposition axle and install?

thanks!

Last edited:

sandcobra164

Most people on here call them "dogbones". They are an item that should be inspected for cracking of the rubber on a regular basis. It is somewhat uncommon to hear of issues of them on a 5 ton but you can find issues with them fairly regularly in the Deuce forum. Same basic suspension design, there are simply alot more Deuces in private ownership on here than 5 tons.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We have had to reposition them and install temporary retainment measures at rallies, trail rides and convoys. It happens. Glad yours was close to home and you could limp in.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
For a temp fix, preposition axle, slip on toque arm, weld a bolt across toque arm stud.

DinoShepherd

Thank you all for the help.

In the small truck world, they are control arms. I think that's why my searches were less than successful.

I feel feel better after reading all this. I will order one end up for now and do the press and replace thing.

Seems like a good idea to get the 12.pack and do them all. I can't imagine trying to fix that alongside the road.

therooster2001

The roadside was a bitch, with lots of law enforcement attention. I did have several good Samaritans help and a patient wife. Scary stuff when it happens though.

If you can find the end it might be cheaper to buy the whole dogbone, none to be had when I looked. I do still see NOS dogbones out there from time to time..

davo727

Somebody on SS a while back made a post on how they drilled and tapped the center pivots and put in a bolt and a big retainer washer or something like that to prevent the arms from coming off if the rubber failed or if the bushing got loose in the arm. Which is a wonderful safety mod.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks