• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Conventional motor oil

chuck500cc

Does anybody run conventional, quality motor oil in their multifuel? I know these motors have been around for a long time. I know that Rotela's and such are the best, but is good name brand conventional oil "ok" for a multifuel?

Chuck XD Fan

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sure, you can use any diesel approved, 15w40 oil. Diesel approved meaning a CH,CI or a CES rating.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All of the trucks we have bought have had "10W-40" stenciled on the pre-heater cover. We do not wish to experiment with anything other than that weight due to possibility of damage. We use our old standby Rotella-T 15-40. The new International engines in the State Highway trucks my son works on specify Rotella T 15-40 or Shell Rimula. The manual specifically states that to use any other oil voids the warranty. I would not experiment with going to a different weight oil for the possible oil price difference, but I do not think that is what you are saying here.
And before my statements ignite another long discussion on oil types, I am not saying there are not other good oil brands as well as Shell Rotella 15-40. I just believe in it from over 40 years of using it in all farm, pickup, racing, military, and heavy equipment engines I have owned with excellent success.
Regards Marti

acetomatoco

they went to 15-40 to make it simpler as it can be used year round. Used to be 10 weight in the winter and 30 summer forcing 2 changes a year in cold climates etc.. any Diesel rated oil is fine in any Diesel... I have used rotella as it was cheapest in WalMart... I remember towing our deuces all over Germany in the 60s cuz they would not start with 30 in them and we were not authorized the 10. Had no slave cables, used Herman Nelson Heaters with hood blankets...lots a fun.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks