• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Conversion back to 24v

southernsmoke

Hello Steel Soldiers,

I bought my M1009 in July and the previous owner converted it to 12v. However I've been reading that it is better for my m1009 to have never been converted. My question is how would I convert it back to 24v and does anyone have a ball park figure of how expensive this would be? Thanks in advance for your help...also if there is a link to a post on this could someone please share?

85CUCVtom

I've gone though this before with my own truck. It all depends on how bad the previous owner hacked it up. The way I did it was to kinda backtrack and study the wiring diagrams and trace back wire by wire according to the diagram and make sure everything was where it needed to be. I have a few questions though.

Do you have both alternators and is one of them (the passenger side) an isolated ground?

Do you have a 24V starter, if not your going to need one. I'm assuming that it has a 12V unit installed now.

MarcusOReallyus

Hello Steel Soldiers,

I bought my M1009 in July and the previous owner converted it to 12v. However I've been reading that it is better for my m1009 to have never been converted. My question is how would I convert it back to 24v and does anyone have a ball park figure of how expensive this would be? Thanks in advance for your help...also if there is a link to a post on this could someone please share?

Read some more. Some folks like the 24v, some like the 12v. There are a lot more 12v Chevy pickups out there than 24, and they don't seem to find it a problem.

Personally, as long as my 24v starter holds up, I'll stay with 24v. If it dies, I don't know if I'll covert to 12 or just fix the starter. Probably just fix the starter, as that's easier.

Don't let the 24v fan-boys talk you into spending money and time you don't need to spend. It's really NOT a huge deal either way. There are good arguments on both sides.

If it's a hack job, and causing you problems, that's another matter.

southernsmoke

Thank you Gentlemen for the replies. Tom I have just the one alternator. I think that I'm going to have to trace everything the same as you did. Marcus I'm somewhat okay with the 12v setup. However I would love to have the 24v capabilities. Thanks again for the help gentlemen.

cucvrus

What 24 volt capabilities? If everything is working on it now. I would say go with it. Unless you are an experienced mechanic and very familiar with the CUCV and electrical wiring in general you could be opening up a whole can of worms. It is not an easy task to go back and correct and reverse the conversion. Very expensive also if you do not have the nuts , bolts , alternator and starter. If you are going to do it have a CUCV that has not been molested sitting beside it and copy it wire for wire. From reading your top post here I think you are very unfamiliar with it. Good Luck. Let us all know how you make out. I did the 12 to 24 and know that it can be a nightmare if you had a wire cutting fool do the conversion. Not trying to scare you. Have at it.

MarcusOReallyus

What 24 volt capabilities? If everything is working on it now. I would say go with it.

There ya go, 'smoke. You just got that from a guy who is absolutely persuaded that keeping it stock is the best way to go. If you had asked about going from 24 to 12, he'd be all over you to leave it alone. He constantly preaches KEEP IT STOCK, so there's no way he's biased toward 12v. He doesn't even like the resister bypass!

But unless you need to jump military vehicles, 24 vs. 12 just isn't important. Both work just fine.

cucvrus

Is this a girls fight club here? The man said everything worked. If everything works and he needs to ask how to fix it then I say if it ain't broke now don't fix it. Someone here probably did the conversion on it anyway. So I was asking what the 24 volt capabilities are to the average guy. There are none that I can think of. And yes I would probably part out the truck he is working on sooner then re convert it. I parted out things for less. I still will stick by the OEM design. It will not fail you. Keep it rolling and maintained and they will last forever. The resistor bypass is a failure to the glow plug system. Have nice day.

southernsmoke

Thanks again gentleman. I've downloaded the TMs I need...my original post was to see if someone has made a write up on converting the 09 back to 24v. I had fun driving the 08's when i came into the service pushing back snow in the east. Can't wait to bring my rig in and show the young troops. Thanks again...gotta get back to work. Take Care Gents.