• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Conversion of M809 to M54

historyfanatics

What do I need to do to "convert" an M809-series cargo truck to an M54-series cargo truck?

I know I need to move the air cleaner to the opposite fender. Are there any other glaring things I need to do?

I am trying to construct a Viet Nam era gun truck, and have been unsuccessful in locating a suitable M54-series truck. With so many M809's about, I thought I would convert one over. No major work, just something that closely resembles one. My M54 manual talks about the all diesel variation of the M54, which I assume is the M809. Please let me know if I have wandered down the wrong path here, and help me get back on the right trail.

Thanks,
Robert
www.historyfanatics.net

area52

I have a M54A2 if you want to trade me a 809 series truck for it!

The M54 cargo truck came with either a Continental 6602 gas engine, a Mack 673 ENDT diesel (A1) or a LDS 465 multifuel engine(A2).

The 809 series trucks all came with the Cummins 250 NHC engine. The 809 series truck have longer hoods, fenders, side panels and other stuff to accommodate the longer Cummins engines.

Capt.Marion

My M54 manual talks about the all diesel variation of the M54, which I assume is the M809.http://www.historyfanatics.net
The "all" diesel M54 truck is the M39A1 series (like the M54A1, M51A1, etc...). It is just the average M39 truck with a Mack ENDT-673 diesel engine in it.

The M809 series truck is an entirely different truck, even though it is the successor to the M39 series.

Check out the 5-Ton article in the Wiki, it gives a pretty good run-down of the different 5-ton trucks

historyfanatics

I have a M54A2 if you want to trade me a 809 series truck for it!

Unfortunately, I don't have an 809 truck to trade. Wish I did, I'd jump at the chance.

I reckon I will just have to keep searching. In the meantime, due to budget cutbacks, I will be using M35's for several projects.

Thanks to everybody for helping me on this.

Robert
History Fanatics - February 2007 - The officers (seated) and enlisted men of Company K on board the Battleship TEXAS in La Porte, Texas.  In addition, three sailors have joined the group.  The photo is taken on the starboard side (right side) of th

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks