• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Convert a M105A to Chevy 8 lug wheels?

cbbr

Anyone ever do this. I have an M105 that I want to use as a camping trailer and pull behind my suburban. I am going to remove most of the heavy suspension and brakes. I would like to be able to use Chevy 8 lug wheels so i can carry one set of spares. Anyone ever convert the axle like this?

cbbr

What axles are under it? I realize that they are made by Rockwell, but don't know anything about it at all.

Could I just replace the hubs altogether?

rizzo

rdixiemiller said:
Or just replace the axle......
yeah good idea
I think a 8 lug trailer axle for my car hauler was $125, but you would have to add hubs and backer plates too. Call a RV service center they will have prices

rdixiemiller

I took and old 3/4 ton Chevy rear end that had the full floating axles and cut it down to make a trailer axle, long ago. The center section and axles were already gone, all that was left was the housing and hubs. You can either bolt a cover plate to cover the hole where the center section was and rotate it 90 degrees, or chop it and weld in a piece of tubing to make it whatever width you need.
You can often find old farm equipment that has 8 lug axles.

cbbr

I thought about a truck rearend, but didn't know that there was Ag equipment that had those hubs. I was hoping that there was a hub conversion that would make my life easy, but it looks like another axle is in my future.

jasonjc

I would think that the axle swap would make life easyer.most trailer supply place sell them with the hub and spings Plus the replacment bearing would be easyer to get also. 2cents

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks