• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Convert to 12 volt or use a power inverter?

steelandcanvas

You know what man. I think that pushed me the rest of the way over. I have made a choice. I will go with the seperate 12V system and retail the stock 24 as well. I will have to make sure I plan out the project down to the last detail though. Once I biuld the wiring harness I do not want to go back into it and doing any hacking.
Good choice Man!

jimm1009

Lonesome715,

I personally think that you will be more happy with your choice.
I sure would like to see your work & design when you have it on paper.
I am not an expert in electrical systems but I do plan and install unique systems in helicopters. With this stuff in the aviation industry we also have to get FAA approval in advance and after engineering approval, etc. so I always find it interesting to see new systems that work.
In other words, I'm really nosey! Always trying to learn more and make thngs better for our hobby.
My wife claims that she is a Jeep-Widow but I don't quite understand that :mrgreen:.
She is welcome in my shop anytime as long as she does not touch anything
that is o.d. green.
Post your ideas if you don't mind. There are some very qualified individuals here on s.s. that can help with your ideas if you want them too.

jimm1009

Lonesome715

Tonight when things calm down I will draw up a qucik digram of what I have in mind then scan it and post it. I will require some input. I have biult wireing harnesses before but not from scratch amd certain not begineing with a whole new charging system.

Parker2

By the way Hunter, that is a awsome photograph in your avatar. I am starting to really agree that a 12V system is the way to go. However, I am still on the fence on whether or not I should convert the whole truck to 12V or just add a 12V system.

Parker I am from Seffner. So I might know the shop you are referring to. Are they still around?
Yeh, it's "West End auto parts" in Plant City. They are on Hwy 574 just west of the Strawberry Festival grounds.

JasonS

So, let me get this straight, we have a 28 VDC alternator charging 2 batteries, then we have a 12 VDC alternator charging just one of the batteries?:confused::confused:
Yes. You have two batteries in series. Voltage with respect to ground beginning with the first battery is 28V on the positive post and 14V negative post. The second battery is 14V at the positive post and ground at the negative post. The concern about taking a 14V load off of one of the batteries is that that the "lower" battery will be pulled down to less than 14V resulting in an inbalanced charge voltage. You should be able to put a 14V source (ie. 12V alternator) to the "lower" battery.

Lonesome715

Yeh, it's "West End auto parts" in Plant City. They are on Hwy 574 just west of the Strawberry Festival grounds.

I know who you are reffering to I worked for them about 12 years ago. They do or did have a lot of starters and alternators for many applications. They rebiult them right there so the prices were usually pretty good.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you don't mind a little trimming, you can fit 3 of the NAPA Orbital batteries in the factory battery box. With that said, NAPA has stopped using them and are now marketing Optimas. Don't know if they will fit.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are building up, consider where you might want to put the cab air conditioner compressor.. maybe right where the 12V alternator is being shown. I always used a 50A equalizer, sometimes drew very large loads such as cranking an auxiliary generator, and never had a problem, however an equalizer needs to be disconnected if the truck is unused for weeks or it might slowly drain the top battery to keep the bottom one full.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sigh, get a dual output alternator... they make them for the hummers. 24v and 12, same alt, mounts in the stock location.

3 optima red tops will fit side by side in a battery box.

steelandcanvas

Yes. You have two batteries in series. Voltage with respect to ground beginning with the first battery is 28V on the positive post and 14V negative post. The second battery is 14V at the positive post and ground at the negative post. The concern about taking a 14V load off of one of the batteries is that that the "lower" battery will be pulled down to less than 14V resulting in an inbalanced charge voltage. You should be able to put a 14V source (ie. 12V alternator) to the "lower" battery.
I didn't know this could be done, I guess you learn something everyday.:shock:

Kohburn

If you are building up, consider where you might want to put the cab air conditioner compressor.. maybe right where the 12V alternator is being shown. I always used a 50A equalizer, sometimes drew very large loads such as cranking an auxiliary generator, and never had a problem, however an equalizer needs to be disconnected if the truck is unused for weeks or it might slowly drain the top battery to keep the bottom one full.

equalizer is the way to go

all it takes is the qualizer and 3 cables to the battery box

the vanner 50amp ones are available on ebay for ~$100 on ocassion, and they fit behind the passenger seat right over the grommets that the cables for the jumper cables go through.

(edit - oops, necroposted. forgot that I had searched and didn't realize how old this thread was. )

Last edited:

Lonesome715

I was just out at my deuce yesterday looking at this issue again. i have changed my mind several times on how I want to go about doing it.