• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Converting 932A2 to Dump

Need some advice. I have a 932A2 (tractor with winch) and a 929 dump. What I want to do is convert the tractor to a dump w/winch.

1) is this feasible

2) what would be the most troublesome things to add or change

3) can I run the winch and dump off the same hydraulic pump if I split it off with fittings and a directional vale.

Any help and suggestions are appreciate. Smart ass comments are not:smile:. Thanks

Andrmorr

A dump WITH a winch is a M930. As far as I've sen in the T.O.s and on my M930 the answer is YES, the dump and winch are ran off the same pump. In the cab the PTO is actuated for the dump and winch by the same lever then there are separate levers for each function. I've never tried to do both at the same time but it looks like its the same hyd system.

I'm thinking you would get the best results by finding a dump parts truck which would be a straight swap over and give you a ton of other spares also...

Csm Davis

Need some advice. I have a 932A2 (tractor with winch) and a 929 dump. What I want to do is convert the tractor to a dump w/winch.

1) is this feasible

2) what would be the most troublesome things to add or change

3) can I run the winch and dump off the same hydraulic pump if I split it off with fittings and a directional vale.

Any help and suggestions are appreciate. Smart ass comments are not. Thanks
Yes it can be done but probably be easier to add winch to the dump. Call me we have changed a few trucks to dump.

tobyS

http://trucks5ton.tpub.com/TM-9-2320-272-24-1/TM-9-2320-272-24-10085.htm ...for the hydraulic setup

From the looks of it, they moved the pump out of the dump frame when going from 817 to 929. Your reservoir on the tractor is not large enough and you will change to the dump bed reservoir. Then get a 2 circuit open center valve, that has the same sizes inlet and outlet. Or get the valve and control off a 930, since it has both.

My guess is, you have a nice tractor but like the utility of the dump, which is showing it's age.

tobyS

Yep. The 929 is an 85 and the tractor a 91 A2. I am going to upgrade some things on the dump and make

You have a very good combination, since your tractor has the pump already and is the same frame length. Take the time to straighten out your dump bed and you will have a very nice truck. This is a simple change. Someone has the 930 valve but if not, it's equal can be had. It just depends on your level of making it look OEM or functional.

Some pictures would be nice.

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
I am getting ready to put a m929a1 bed on a m932a2 also,Can you send me a pic of the hyd. hookups under the truck.thanks.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It can be done but there's a little more to it than just tying into the existing system. I do it right, you'll need to either replace your current winch valve or feed it with another valve with a power beyond port. The simplest thing to to would be to remove your current winch valve and replace it with a two spool valve.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am finishing up my winch install on my M929. I could not find the HD valve that was used on the M930 so I redid the valve setup.
I used a two spool valve made by Prince. I have it all working, but all I need is the push/pull cable for the winch control and I will be done. Yea!

The only problem I can see with using the m932A2 is you will not have the lever for the dump control that is by the drivers seat that is already on the m929 and M930. But you can put a push-pull anywhere in the cab for that.

srodocker

Any pics of the setups? Im interested in this as well but I have a m928 and want to make it a dump. Will I need a larger hydro tank? Thanks for any info

tobyS

Any pics of the setups? Im interested in this as well but I have a m928 and want to make it a dump. Will I need a larger hydro tank? Thanks for any info
So you have the winch already in place???...which means you have a PTO, drive-shaft, pump and valve? How do you plan on lifting your (long) bed?

Yes, you will need a bigger tank and a 2 spool valve...same as the OP.

srodocker

Yup already have the winch in place. Its a full hydro setup no PTO. Not sure I've seen teh single rams for lifting the larger beds. Was just seeing whats out there idea wise for whenever I get around to doing this project.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yup already have the winch in place. Its a full hydro setup no PTO. Not sure I've seen teh single rams for lifting the larger beds. Was just seeing whats out there idea wise for whenever I get around to doing this project.
There are several options for this. Sissor hoist, dual ram, telescoping.

Sissor hoist is probably the simplest but are the lighter duty of the three.

The dual ram under the bed is a good option but I found when adding a dump to my deuce that the Rams would interfere with the front tandem.

The heavy duty setup is the big telescoping ram in the front of the bed. The down side to this is you'll have to build a "doghouse" in the front of the bed to house the ram.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are some pics of the old spool and the new two stool I installed. I still need the winch control cable.
Yes I would like you would need a little big tank then the one on the M932. The one on my m929 hold about 6.5 gals of HD.

Attachments

tobyS

What do you mean by "no PTO" srodocker? You should have a PTO with a drive-shaft that turns a gear pump.

You probably need about twice (or more) what the cylinder holds. There is 231 cubic inches per gallon. Radius squared x pi (3.14) x stroke =cubic inches in the cylinder.

A 20' bed is going to need a lot of cylinder power and structural reinforcement (if you use your bed).

In case you would want to go very HD, I have a 288" stroke telescoping, 8" diameter and could stroke limit to any length you want.

A scissor in the size you need will be really large and expensive. Not long ago I checked on a new 16' dump bed with telescoping cylinder and it was $18k.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It looks like it, but is the set-up of the dump bed similar as the M50s and the M800s? That is, the tractor has the same wheel base as the dump but only a single frame? If so, putting the dump on the tractor using its own sub frame should be easy, and the dump subframe already has the larger hydraulic reservoir and the pump. So you could get all things of the dump truck to the tractor without problem. Might want to put all the tractor stuff back to the now bare M929, and make that into an old type tractor.

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
Does a m930 use the oil tank from the dump bed or does it have a oil tank like a m932 or m925.Is the oil tank on a m929 have enough capacity to run the winch.You m930 owners can answer my question.thanks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks