• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Converting a 923 over from motor oil in the Allison to transmission fluid.

acme66

Back and forth the debate rages. I just did it to mine and the difference was astounding. This was a truck that shifted rather well mind you but now? No joke it is better than my wife's SUV. You could set a cup of coffee on the seat next to you, go from 2nd to 1st and not spill a drop. Anyway no need to take my word for it, I did what we do around here and filmed it, you can ride along and see for your self.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3ccBMMyNuA

Short version, I read up on the fluids Allison recommends for the transmission. I talked with the tec at a Kenworth heavy truck shop. They push the new synthetic which might be worth it for some of you. I took his advice an put in a NAPA branded Premium Heavy Equipment Hydraulic Oil and Transmission Fluid. $54 for 5 gallons, it took about 4. I will update if anything develops long term and I can't hide it from you because if I start sniffing around for a tranny you will know. Now we can all learn together and I will document it.

First glance:
Shifting-oh so smooth, like butter. Hard to feel upshifts and the dreaded downshifting that makes the drivelines ring is gone.
Temp- down 15-20 right off the top. At idol, driving, climbing the pass, wherever it would have been it is now 15-20 less.

Unscientific stuff:
Power- I think the converter might be locking better, it trucked up the pass in one gear higher than I seem to remember it doing before.
Whine- Tranny/transfer whine is much diminished but not gone. That also could be related to changing out the oil in the transfer case.
High/low -Again this might be all the oil change in the transfercase but it slid right in and out in a way it has never done before.

(Transfer case was converted to a houseblend 80/90. Now don't start the EAT THE BRASS rage, that hasn't been true in a decade, ever since they took the sulphur out)

So that is that. If it cooks I will own up and post it here but I don't think it isn't going to. I was on the fence but it took about .5 mile to be converted. I know it isn't what the TM says but it is in line with what the transmission manufacturer says to use. Personally I cringed every time I heard that drivetrain go ka-BAM! Everyone of the arguments used against this switch were valid, maybe as recently as a decade ago but probably longer. Modern oils have at least doubled the lifespan of motors and drivetrain in the last 15 years. To not take advantage of that in something this expensive seems, well dumb. Regardless of what a book says.

Anyway not trying to convince you, just laying out my thought process. I am going to put thousands of miles on this truck in the next 3 months. Hit me up in September and see if I am still a convert. Then you can have some long term test results, or trumpet a big "I told you so".

Ken

Last edited:

162tcat

Thanks for the write up. I switched mine to NAPA dex 3 and noticed similar results. I'll never go back to motor oil! I tow heavy with mine and have approximately 8k on dex 3 and part of that is after adding a turbo, dual fuel and bumping up the power. Everything is good here. Keep us up to date, I'm sure you'll see similar long term results.

Those Military Guys

Supporting Vendor
Just a little heads up do lots of reading on changing over I have had about 5 customers that did the change after i told them I wouldn't and everyone of them after about 200 miles or so have all changed it back, Do to really hard slamming in gear and it felt like it was slipping in gear and other strange things.
They went back to 15/40 OIL and problems went away. these are not light truck they need the oil for lets say squish to work as a cushin in the moving parts basicly to fill gaps between moving parts the clearences were setup for 15/40 OIL not something as thin as ATF.

Just do some reading and really think about it before doing it, i am not saying what to or not to just giving you something to think about
Thanks
TMG

RustyM923

I changed mine from the oil (light brown, maybe 10w?) to Dexron 3. Initially it shifted OK...to be blunt, I couldn't tell the difference. After 100 miles or so, I noticed that the 2 to 1 shift was becoming more abrupt/hard.

As for temp, mine has always run about 170 on the gauge. No difference between the two fluids.

Last edited:

wsucougarx

I changed one of my trucks from the gov't oil to DEXIII. I noticed the truck shifted smoother on the highway and the 2nd to 1st shift really smoothed out. However when up to temperature, I noticed the tranny would really "CLUNK" when shifting from a forward gear to reverse at full stop. Plus the same clunk from Reverse to a forward gear. When up at operating temperature, seems the DEXIII is too thin. Hmmm, not sure what to do at this point.

trooper632

Dang nab it, I just bought 5 gallons of Dex III and filters today, now I don't know if I want to switch, Might just take back Dex and switch it out for new 10w oil and do the oil/filter change. I haven't changed it at all since having the truck due to the military changing the fluids before it sat for three years before me getting it.
I have only put 250 miles on it since having it, prob wont hurt to change it anyway

Hoefler

My M923 had a hard 2 to 1 downshift when I got it (Sparta). I changed over to approved ATF by doing four complete flushes. No noticeable change-2 to 1 downshift still harsh.
Pete

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine came with Dex from the military, or I assume it is since it has a reddish tint. No issues, but I only have 30 miles on it myself, and they were very boring flat highway miles. No plans to drive it further for a while until I go through the truck, including changing all the fluids.

Out of curiosity how much is the synthetic stuff Allison is recommending?

Here is what I found this which looks to be 5 times the cost of 10w gear oil:

AMSOIL version of Allison's oil:
http://allisontransmissionoil.com/

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...-transmission-fluid/?code=ATD1G-EA&zo=1815175

Is this the Allison transmission oil that is being recommended by Allison (TransSynd)?
http://www.madjackdiesel.com/alliso...lison-fluids/transynd-transmission-fluid.html

Skimming over the "why this is better" it seems to be long term wear and tear and corrosion protection from this fluid as well as longevity vs. other choices. Understand that is just the marketing department selling their product, but curious if anyone has tried this stuff?

emr

These trucks have millions of miles on the recommended military use of 10wt in service in all climates and for many years, No failures . A SS Member awhile ago put up a bunch of specs and further down it said the 10wt was recommended by Allison for extreme use. Keep it clean and run it.

Csm Davis

Acme66 did you use Dexatron or hydraulic oil? It sounds like you just changed the oil not the type.
Those military guys the proper oil is 10w not 15w40 you might be getting guys in a bind by recommending the wrong oil.
Okay a little background on atf Dexatron is used in cars for one primary reason smoother shifting. Now on your mom's Cadillac that's great but to get that smoother shift your clutches in the transmission must slip more, that's how it works and the more it slips the faster it wears out. Now you folks that have a brutal shift I know your pain I have had trucks that did just that but it is most likely to be a bad adjustment on your transmission I have had my favorite mechanic on base reset a few of mine and they work much better but this is not a car it shouldn't shift like one these are massif trucks and you should be able to feel the shifts or the transmission will not last. Ask a race car driver lots of torque and you need faster lockup on the clutches or they will burn up.

MuleMac01

Military vehicle collector
I just changed out the tranny fluid and BOTH filters....spin on filter and PAN filter on mine today to Castrol dex 3 ( it had dex 3 from the U.S. army) trying to make it sift into 3 rd and 4 th and 5th gear without letting off the throttle...did't work any ideas?? no hard shifts to report

Last edited:

Csm Davis

I just changed out the tranny fluid and BOTH filters....spin on filter and PAN filter on mine today to Castrol dex 3 ( it had dex 3 from the U.S. army) trying to make it sift into 3 rd and 4 th and 5th gear without letting off the throttle...did't work any ideas?? no hard shifts to report
Yeah change to 10wt

Those Military Guys

Supporting Vendor
Acme66 did you use Dexatron or hydraulic oil? It sounds like you just changed the oil not the type.
Those military guys the proper oil is 10w not 15w40 you might be getting guys in a bind by recommending the wrong oil.
Okay a little background on atf Dexatron is used in cars for one primary reason smoother shifting. Now on your mom's Cadillac that's great but to get that smoother shift your clutches in the transmission must slip more, that's how it works and the more it slips the faster it wears out. Now you folks that have a brutal shift I know your pain I have had trucks that did just that but it is most likely to be a bad adjustment on your transmission I have had my favorite mechanic on base reset a few of mine and they work much better but this is not a car it shouldn't shift like one these are massif trucks and you should be able to feel the shifts or the transmission will not last. Ask a race car driver lots of torque and you need faster lockup on the clutches or they will burn up.
You are correct about they use 10wt but they are using 15/40 in the motor pool on base with zero problems so either will work fine but i would not use automatic trans fluid plus i have talked with some big rig shops and they also say 10wt or 15/40
but it your choice. plus i do build race cars and dragster i did it for 23 year and i still race myself so i know exactly what your say except we don't feel the cars shift we use high stall convertors so you can't tell or hear it change gear other the when it shifts the car starts pulling way harder and i have lots of video's to prove it. but like Csm Davisthis is a masif truck not a family car

Those Military Guys

Supporting Vendor
oh and when i changed mine i went to 15/40 because this is what my friend that works on base in the motor pool(for 9yr) said to run and i have 4000 miles on it sense then and it drive and shifts like it should firm but no banging or clunking.
but use what you want and feel good with this is what i use

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks