• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Converting a deuce to 4 wheel drive without bobbing it?

Ruppster

Member of questionable origins
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been toying with the idea of doing the same thing myself. Idea #1 is to use 5 ton axles. This way the truck will still have about the same overal load rating as a standard deuce and a half. Plus you get a little more top speed due to the different gear ratio. Idea #2 was to use a 2 speed rear axle. The trick is there are several factors involved in finding the right one. First you have to find one with the same lug nut pattern as the front axle. Then it has to have the right brake setup. Last but not least is the gear ratio. Won't be easy finding an axle with all three features but the ratio can be changed easily enough. Just make sure you tie the two speed axle selector in with the transfer case (when possible).

Now I just need to move out of military housing so I can build it. Till that happens guess I'm stuck building one in 1/35th scale. Time to buy another AFV Club M35 kit. :D

Ruppster

Lonesome715

Hey man, I use to live near Macdill. I have decided to go forward with the the four wheel drive deuce. I agree with the gearing but I plan to swap transmissions instead.

Unforgiven

We have done the change, removed the front axle and advanced the rear by about 12 inches. We had to lengthen the drive shaft. We found and used a driveshaft from a M36 that has the extra length. The frame remained the full length and we put the original platform back on. The weight difference was about 1700lbs less. The truck turns much better, better acceleration and the licencing costs dropped by 1/2. We also have the full length and platform capacity. Check the maximum load capacity of a single axle and a double, in our area you can still carry ovver 5 tons on a single axle.

You used front springs & hangers on the rear correct? So you ground off the rivets and used bolts on the hangers.

I'm curious if bolts are as strong as rivets. I would like to move my dual-axle rears back a little on the frame. Would grade 8 fine-threaded bolts be just as strong as the original rivets? Keep in mind this would still be two axles capable of hauling the maximum load.

Thanks for any info.