• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

converting a multi fuel to diesel only

sparkylisle

Sorry I wasn't clear, what I meant was "are there modifications you can make to the engine that will improve the reliability if diesel fuel is the only fuel you're going to use"?, understanding that you would no longer be able to use fuels other than diesel>

houdel

Sparkylisle, I understand your question. What I don't understand is why bother? The FDC is set up to run perfectly fine to design specifications on #2 diesel as is with the FDC connected. If you bypass the FDC it will not be able to adjust the fuel delivery to compensate if for some reason you had to fuel up with something other than #2 diesel.

What if you were way out in the boondocks, running low on fuel, and can't find a diesel pump? You could still throw in some gasoline or kerosene to get you by until you can get to a diesel pump, the engine will still run fine, but without the FDC to compensate for the lower density fuel your power will be reduced.

Or, heaven forbid, you had to take a trip up north in the winter time to visit one of us damn Yankees and had to fill up with #1 diesel to keep your fuel from gelling up from the cold weather? Same problem, no FDC, no compensation for the lower density fuel, lower engine power!

About the only reason I can see for bypassing the FDC is if it is leaking and fuel is getting into the crankcase. BTW, if you DO bypass the FDC, it will increase the max fuel delivery rate. It is roughly the equivalent of cranking up the fuel delivery adjustment one full turn. Great for power, but really bad for the engine unless you install a pyrometer and get your right foot off the go pedal when the EGTs start to rise! When the military bypasses the FDC they turn down the fuel delivery adjustment to avoid melting the turbo, I'd suggest you do the same. AND install a pyrometer to keep yourself out of trouble!

SasquatchSanta

Hey Lee,

Your Aug 07 post was a good one as it ran the bases on the subject. Not long ago I considered bypassing the FDC because I had read on the forum that it makes the engine run smoother --- or something like that. Had I done so it would have been a mistake. It's always good to know the logic behing the reason or ---as Paul Harvey would say --- The rest of the story. Thanks

FreightTrain

Banned
Did mine today and WOW!It will COAL the black smoke!I didn't touch the fuel settings.Just switched the Feed line from the FDC to the Hyro head swapped out the T fitting on the return to the elbow off the FDC(screwed up the T so I filled it with Blue glue.Not doing anything but keeping dirt out anyway.)

FreightTrain

Banned
It is turboed!I need to change my Signature.C turbo.Finished everything up today.Finished installing the Slobber tube(was just stuck on there) and think I found out why it was slobbering oil out the joint between the manifold and turbo(bolts must have stretched or I didn't retighten them after I took it lose).Oh,the slobber I think is from all the Motor oil I have in the tank.I had 3 gallons of new useless motor oil(Nothing around the homestead takes 10W30) so I dumped it in.Have about 20 gallons of ULS diesel in there plus a big bottle of Power Service.Well Lubricated to say the least.

rdixiemiller

I have backed my fuel rate off 8 flats, and I am still topping out at 1250 F when I stay in it. Looks like 2 more flats might have me where I want to be (1150 on a long hill). Without backing off the fuel rate, mine was going to fry the engine.

houdel

Two possible reasons I can think of - and they did not do it to all multis - a, If they did have a problem with the FDC leaking, bypassing it was easier and cheaper than replacing the FDC, and b, since all later HD trucks, Humvees, CUCVs etc. were all diesel powered, diesel became the predominate fuel in the military and multifuel capability was no longer an issue.