• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Converting a regular bed to drop side

Br0nc0xrapt0r

I have never seen a deuce drop side bed up close and in person. I am a proficient welder and fabricator and wondered if I could some hinges on and use existing drop side bedsides to make the conversion. I use my truck for hay hauling so the sides are nice since I bale small squares, but I would like flatbed capabilities for hauling beehives on pallets. What say you all? is is worth it or just buy a drop side bed?

CMPPhil

Drop side bed has got to be one of the most useful body there is. To fabricate one is going to take a lot of detail welding to get it so that it functions correctly. Getting the hinges to work smoothly is probably going to be the hardest part. Obviously when you are welding it up it needs to be flat and straight.

Before you start you might want to figure out what the steel is going to cost, you may find that buying a drop side maybe cheaper than than cost of building one from scratch or cutting down a regular cargo box and adding the side hinge function.

My 3 ton CMP needed a body and I wanted a drop side so I found a M35A2 body locally problem was it was 10 inches to wide for my truck so I sliced 10 " lengthwise out of the middle. For some pictures http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/Pattern 12 Gets a Body.htm

Cheers Phil

Br0nc0xrapt0r

Drop side bed has got to be one of the most useful body there is. To fabricate one is going to take a lot of detail welding to get it so that it functions correctly. Getting the hinges to work smoothly is probably going to be the hardest part. Obviously when you are welding it up it needs to be flat and straight.

Before you start you might want to figure out what the steel is going to cost, you may find that buying a drop side maybe cheaper than than cost of building one from scratch or cutting down a regular cargo box and adding the side hinge function.

My 3 ton CMP needed a body and I wanted a drop side so I found a M35A2 body locally problem was it was 10 inches to wide for my truck so I sliced 10 " lengthwise out of the middle. For some pictures http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/Pattern 12 Gets a Body.htm

Cheers Phil

Hey Phil, thanks for the reply. The project in question involves getting some dropside bedsides and cutting off my old bedsides. So it looks like it's just steel for hinges that I would need.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have a look at this...someone already thought about it.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

tobyS

I don't see it as being too difficult if you are good at cutting while hugging the floor. You will need to keep both sides of the cut useable, like using a long fine tooth saws all blade held down against the floor. Then use angle to weld back on the bottom of the side plus make hinge. Put stitch welds on seam and grind flat.

Attachments

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is a fair price for a dropside bed then?
$500-$1000 is a fair price for a 1078 or 1082 bed.

Deuce dropside bed may be a bit more, due to scarcity.

14' 5ton dropside bed should be around $1k. These are easy to shorten , but if the goal is 12' I'd just grab one of the 12' beds.

Using an existing LMTV (1078/1082) bed makes you compatible with all the associated accessories like cargo covers etc...

tobyS

I had a 1078 bed, new, and decided the more than 50 years difference in design made an oil-water combination (putting on the deuce). But wow, the guy that bought it put it on a brand new 4x4 big crew cab and it looked incredible. He cut and welded every possible direction.

It seem the simple cut to take the side off and fitting a new bottom channel on the piece is much easier than changing the bed. Just a cut at that bottom corner and leave the front corner to give the headache wall support, opening 10'.

About 2-4 hours cutting versus days acquiring and changing.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
tobyS, see, I look at it exactly the other way around! I see hours and hours of cutting, keeping my fingers crossed that I do not screw up either side of the cut, then fitting a bottom channel that I hope will fit, doing the hinges and latches etc. etc. etc. stressing my marginal welding skills......versus eight (I think) bed bolts, a quick lift with a friends all terrain loader and putting eight bolts back into place.

Our abilities and skills determine how we look at things!

tobyS

Okay...but if you chose the SS bed, the 50 years in design difference make it have anything but an original appearance. They can be made fit rather easy. It would seem you keep trying for an oem if welding is not your mo.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks