• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Converting Cargo or Tractor to Dump?

Scout

I'm looking for an M817 Dump with 52" Super-Singles and a winch. Will it be that much easier to find a tractor or cargo 5-ton and put my own dump body on it?

TaylorTradingCo

I have three M817 dumps that I have parted out. I can supply you with everything you need to convert your truck into a dump or you could get an entire truck and fix it up yourself.

Derek Taylor

Scout

Thank you for the offer. I just found a 5-ton tractor that's about 30 minutes from my house! The listing just says 1967 Kaiser Jeep 5-ton Tractor. Apparently from a collector's stock being sold. Don't know much about it yet. Don't even know what model it is. Did M818's exist in '67?

If this is an M53 A2, what are the differences between it and an M818? Anything significant?

Last edited:

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it is really a 1967 truck, it is almost definitely an M52A2. The main difference between it and an M818...the motor...NHC250 in in the M818. There are some cosmetic difference, but it basically comes down to the motor. The LDS motor in the A2 is a good one, too.

RangerJake72

just my 2 cents, but generally the tractor and dump chassis were similar and both shorter than the regular cargo versions.. We preferred getting them to build our brush breakers out of, shorter overall body and wheelbase, and less stuff to take off

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just eyballing it that bed is about 3 times the capacity of a standard 5 ton bed. Nothing wrong with that, just harder to load with a backhoe.

There are more excavators around here than backhoes. Don't know about the rest of the country.

KsM715

That is definately not a dump or tractor frame. M814 maybe? I'd like to find an M814 frame so I can mount my S250 shelter behind the cab (M818) and still use the 5th wheel.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is definately not a dump or tractor frame. M814 maybe? I'd like to find an M814 frame so I can mount my S250 shelter behind the cab (M818) and still use the 5th wheel.

Yeah, I agree on it looking like an 814 chassis. Nice custom short haul dump.

reddogkaiser

Hey Scout, did You buy that 5 ton near You?? You would not have any trouble with an M52 vs an M818, the engine being the only real difference, I rather enjoy my whistler a lot more than I would a n/a cummapart, They are a little lighter and parts are everywhere! whatever You decide just make sure it's military and You can't go wrong!!!!:grin:

Scout

No, I threw some 20-second-to-go bids at it, but passed once it got over $3k since I was not 100% sure it's exactly what I was looking for. I could go either way on the motor - I can appreciate either (but honestly, the whistler is appealing - I have a bored and balanced MPFI-induction IH 345 motor in my '78 Scout - I could have swapped in a Chevy crate motor for a fraction of the cost and twice the HP) I'm new to the green trucks, but have always been drawn to them. I can totally see myself next spring with a 5-ton pulling a 25' disk just because I can!
I have some leads on some closer to home (or at least within driving distance of my employer's small lowboy) that I'm chasing down - otherwise I would have bought a great looking M813 out of SC on e-bay a couple days ago - great looking truck.

reddogkaiser

I can't blame You for waiting, if You end up with something You just don't like it can be a real beeyotch trying to sell or trade it, make sure You get what You want for around the price You want and You will enjoy Your new toy a LOT more, BTW either version will pull any size plow You can hook to it!!!
Also, That's awesome You kept the 345!!!! Way too many people put the wrong powerplant in the wrong machine!! If you want an sbc build a blazer, same with bronco!! Binders belong with the equipment they were built with!!! Stay true!!
BINDERS RULE!!!!!!!!!!

Scout

Sorry, Still looking for a MV, this is the only green thing I have for now (other than tractors - two green varieties of those). The motor is still all red. Bored and balanced 345. Headers, ported heads, GM MPFI, Caprice Cop Car Intake. I would love to be able to take a photo of it parked next to a 5-ton-something on super singles.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks