• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Converting cucv electrical system.

AndrewH

HA! You thought I had the usual how do I use a 12 v starter question. Actually, I was wondering if any of the cucvs used a single alternator, 24v charging system or If anyone had converted a cucv to a single alternator 24v system. I think the ambulances had a single alternator but someone may know better. If there is a setup like this anyone got pics? Or better yet wiring diagrams of what is different? I have this hairbrained idea to use the extra alternator position as an air compressor location. Any thoughts? No, I don't OWN a cucv yet. Like I said it's an IDEA! Thanks. Andrew

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, if adding ac is your main goal(and you want the space), then maybe converting it to 12 volts(one alternator) is a better choice.

If you changed it to one 24 volt alt, you will need to reduce the voltage to 12V for everything except the starter and glow plug supply. The M1010 uses a single 24 volt alt and a duo-vac voltage unit that is prone to failure.(not a great choice).

I have seen dealer installed AC on a CUCV with both alternators still in place.

AndrewH

So really it sounds like I leave both alternators and make bracketry to add anything. That can be done. Ok thanks I'll work with this. Video at 11.........

lavarok

The M1010 uses a single 24 volt alt and a duo-vac voltage unit that is prone to failure.(not a great choice).

Half correct. The M1010 has TWO 24v alternators. It uses what you call the "duo-vac" or DUVAC to regulate 12v from the 24v source. Mine never worked properly and there are few that did from what I have heard and read.

I installed a Sure Power battery equalizer to provide a steady 12v output from 24v input.

If you wanted to install a 24v alt in your CUCV, you would need a reliable source of 12v which would require a converter or battery equalizer. $$$$ though there is one on Ebay right now for $300 which is less than half of what I paid :roll:.

lavarok

By the way, ODIron sells a kit for adding AC to the CUCV. If your talking about an air compressor vs. AC compressor; you could probably use the same bracket. Email them and I am sure they can help.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks