• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Converting M1009 front differential to Pos--trac style

AJMBLAZER

Well, realize adding a limited slip or locker to the front will change handling if you have to drive in 4x4 on the roads. Being in PA I know you get snow.

The BEST option would be a selectable locker like an ARB...but they're expensive.

What are you running for tires? Rear end locked?

abarkus

35" 16.5 tires and gov locker in the rear. and we have 4' of snow this month
. i will be rebuilding the axles some time this summer as they are old and sat for a long time a started to howl.

AJMBLAZER

Honestly, unless you're wheeling hard...you shouldn't need a front traction adder.

Some good 35" muds and a rear locker (throw a Detroit in there while rebuilding the rear) and you should be able to get anywhere that isn't true, hard wheeling.

You might consider 16" or 17" wheels though, unless you have beadlocks on those 16.5's.

abarkus

i have only been ably to find 16.5 since i change over to 3/4 ton sf axles from burg.
they are 8 lugs. have not wanted to buy new untill i know what i want to end up with.

AJMBLAZER

Ah, gotcha. The 16.5" is just a dying breed anymore. I'd definitely recommend a different size wheel when you do figure out what you want to do.