• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Converting M931A2 to Gin Pole Truck?

brasco

I've been thinking about ways to make my M931A2 more useful. I originally bought the truck to part out but have since decided to keep intact since it is in such great condition. One idea I have is installing a Gin Pole bed on the truck. See pictures below as an example of what I'm thinking of.

From time to time, I have a need to lift heavy items onto a truck. I think a 10' or 11' bed could be mounted on the M931A2 frame. Has anyone else here attempted such a conversion? Also, does anyone have dimensions / plans for an actual issue military gin pole?

I'm just kicking around the idea and thought I would pose this idea to this the SS community for discussion. If anyone has pics or data on a M931 flatbed conversion or gin poles let me know.

I like the idea of a gin pole truck because it give me some of the utility of a wrecker and I can still use the truck to pull trailers if needed.

Gin Pole Truck 1.jpgGin Pole Truck 2.jpg

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
If you're interested I can get you some basic dimensions of the bed and poles on an m756a2 pipeline truck.
The bed itself is between 10 and 11 feet long if I remember right. You'll probably never find the gin poles themselves but you could make your own design with similar dimensions.
IMG_2087.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What makes this difficult is getting a reversable shaft to the rear winch. Transfer PTOs are hard to come by, and transmission PTOs generally require a wet kit, again a costly item.

brasco

If you're interested I can get you some basic dimensions of the bed and poles on an m756a2 pipeline truck.
The bed itself is between 10 and 11 feet long if I remember right. You'll probably never find the gin poles themselves but you could make your own design with similar dimensions.
View attachment 622905View attachment 622904View attachment 622903
Wow... this is exactly what I have envisioned. I didn't realize there was and military pipeline truck.. I've been looking at all kinds of oil field trucks to get ideas. Please go ahead and take some basic dimension down and maybe post some details of the gin poles like diameter, length, etc. I need to do more research on the M756A2... sounds like what I'm looking for.

Don

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oilfield beds are just cool. Don't sell short the ability of an electric winch if it's just the occasional lift. I have many more plans than time and money but I am building a simplistic gin pole bed for one of my CUCVs utilizing an 18,000# MRAP winch.

74M35A2

On the cheap and dual function, you can use a medium tow bar as an A frame crane. Tie it back somehow along each side of the cab toward the front bumper or something even stronger. Then use an elecfric winch mounted just hehind the rear of your cab, and you should be styling. I made extension poles for my medium duty tow bar of the same simension as the inner tubes already were, but much lonher.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've thought about a set of gin poles for my deuce. I've already added a rolling tailboard and a 10K HMMWV hyd winch mounted in the front of the bed.

On a 5-ton, I'd think you'd want a bigger winch than the 10K. Probably something in the 20K range minimum. A hyd front winch from a M939 truck would work well. You could use the standard M939 wet kit to run it.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would love to have the set that mounts on the front bumper of a M925A2.

Now that would be useful.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks