• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Converting MEP002a from 24v to 12v?

jmathis0809

I have a MEP002a generator that the solenoid is bad on. I have sent it out to get repaired but they are having problems finding the solenoid switch. They said some people have changed their system over to a 12v system in the past but don't know about doing it on this type a generator. Has anyone ever done this before? If so, what all did you have to change and what all did it effect? I am a rookie at this, so thanks for any information you can give me.

Guyfang

Staff member
So. You want to change just the starter? Or the whole gen set? Because EVERYTHING electrical on it, on the DC side is 24 VDC. That is a big undertaking. Doable. But no mater what you spend on a new starter, its not going to be more then changing the whole nine yards. What version starter are you looking for?

jmathis0809

So. You want to change just the starter? Or the whole gen set? Because EVERYTHING electrical on it, on the DC side is 24 VDC. That is a big undertaking. Doable. But no mater what you spend on a new starter, its not going to be more then changing the whole nine yards. What version starter are you looking for?
I would rather do the simplest thing. If you know where I can find a replacement starter or solenoid, that would be fantastic. I was just going off what the rebuilder was suggesting.

Scoobyshep

Is it just a solenoid or is the starter fried? If you cant source repair parts for it(its not really impossible) , how about only having 12 volt trigger the starter?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

jmathis0809

Is it just a solenoid or is the starter fried? If you cant source repair parts for it(its not really impossible) , how about only having 12 volt trigger the starter?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
I believe it's the solenoid switch is bad. Or thats what the guy that rebuilds them says.

Ray70

If you're talking a bad starter, why fool around converting and modifying things?
Sure it can be done, but why?
You can get a brand new high torque starter for just over $120.

Chainbreaker

If you look in the -24P Parts Manual (on printed page #'s 104-111) you can find the part numbers for both the "Type I" & "Type II" starters. Do a Google search and you should see pricing of around $125 for the type II at various sources.

BTW, the Type II starters were used on units mfg'd after 1989 (1990/1991 units) and are 100% applicable for retrofit in prior year models and do not require the older style Type I support brkt.

jmathis0809

If you look in the -24P Parts Manual (on printed page #'s 104-111) you can find the part numbers for both the "Type I" & "Type II" starters. Do a Google search and you should see pricing of around $125 for the type II at various sources.

BTW, the Type II starters were used on units mfg'd after 1989 (1990/1991 units) and are 100% applicable for retrofit in prior year models and do not require the older style Type I support brkt.
Like I said at the beginning of the post, I am new at this. I do know I have a type 1 starter, but the only manual I have is the technical manual and it does have part numbers for me to be able to look up the parts on Google. Where would I be able to find the parts manual? Or at the part numbers for the type 1 starter?

Ray70

No worries, that's why we're here, to help other members figure out how everything works.
Go to the TM section at the top of the page then scroll down to Generators and Electrical, then scroll through the generator TM section until you find the 002 section. ( Top of page 4 )
It will be in there.

Ray70

Check pages 104 and 105 for info on the 2 different starters.
In addition to Googling the PN's you can also use "Mep-002 starter" or "Mep-003 Starter" ( not something I recommend in most cases because it tends to lead you to higher priced parts )
Even Onan DJE starter should work. ( be sure you are looking at a 24V model )

Onan PN is 191-0828
You can also take the NSN# 2920-01-040-5546
and do a google search for even more results.
Looks like there are several type 1 and type 2 starters available.
Whenever looking for parts you can gain lots of info by researching the intertwined NSN# and PN's it will definitely broaden your results!

Guyfang

Staff member
Partner, Maybe we need to get you up to snuff on TM's? Have you ever used them? As ray wrote, they are in the SS forum and free to download. If you need help, say something. As you can see, there are lots of folks here to help.

jmathis0809

Partner, Maybe we need to get you up to snuff on TM's? Have you ever used them? As ray wrote, they are in the SS forum and free to download. If you need help, say something. As you can see, there are lots of folks here to help.
No, I have never used TM's and don't know anything about them.

Guyfang

Staff member
Chainbreaker wrote:

So if you find a type two, get it instead. It helps if you get all your info on one sheet of paper. List of NSN's, List of part #'s, and type. Then start poking them into the search engine and or epay.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks