• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Converting my M-105 to a Dump Trailer

WestPointDad

My co-worker and myself (both High school "Welding Instructors") are going to convert my M-105 into a dump trailer.
We are planing on removing the axle, wheels and springs and replacing it with a tandem heavy duty axle system & leaf springs to go with it.
I am also getting rid of the landing gear and replacing it with a 3"x 3" vertical manual crank.
I am planing on selling the axle, wheels, tires and springs.
Can anyone tell me what those items would sell for?
Does anyone have any suggestions, ideas, thoughts on what we are going to do.
I am new to army trailer information/spec's and what is out there.
Are there wheels that I can swap out with the ones that are current on the M-105 that are smaller in Dia. and will still fit the bolt pattern?
If so, I would consider just doing that and using the current axle.
I would also remove some of the leaf spring as I would not need all of them for the loads I would be carring.
This would also lower the height of the trailer which is one of the things we want to meet.
We can figure out the load cap. on them as needed.
I will be towing it with a 1/2 ton and do not plan to load the trailer with anymore than approx. 3,000 lbs.

Thanks
RC

Last edited:

wsmith350

I've got very similar plans for my M105. I am going to use the existing axle and move mount it inside of the leaf spring. I'll be removing the helper springs. Then weld a piece of 2" square stock where the current rear leaf spring shackle is. once its welded I'll remount the existing rear shackle to the bottom of the square stock and side of the frame. If my math is correct, that should give me about an inch of clearance between the axle and trailer frame. I should lower the trailer about 8 inches from stock. As far as wheels, Isuzu NPR trucks use the same 6x8.75 bolt pattern. There are some questions about whether the 16" will fit. The 17.5 and 19.5" should fit. I am going to try the 16" just to make tires less expensive and easier to get. As far as tires, Stock M105 has 39" tall tires. I plan on putting 235-85r16 which are 32" tall. this will lower the trailer another 3.5" inches. So that outta make about 12" lower, so final bed height should be about 22" (34" stock) and hitch height should fall to about 20" with no offset. I'll be converting the brakes to a surge brake with pintle set up. Any thoughts?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
My co-worker and myself (both High school "Welding Instructors") are going to convert my M-105 into a dump trailer.
We are planing on removing the axle, wheels and springs and replacing it with a tandem heavy duty axle system & leaf springs to go with it.
I am also getting rid of the landing gear and replacing it with a 3"x 3" vertical manual crank.
I am planing on selling the axle, wheels, tires and springs.
Can anyone tell me what those items would sell for?
They typically sell for very little, if any. Most parts get hauled off for scrap. The front landing gear, brake parts, and smaller parts are the only thing that really sells.

Does anyone have any suggestions, ideas, thoughts on what we are going to do.
I would think that a purpose built box would be better honestly. Because of the wheel wheels being setup for single wheels vs. tandem that you're wanting.

I am new to army trailer information/spec's and what is out there.
There are a few trailer TM's related to the military trailers availble here under the Technical Manual link up top of every page.

Are there wheels that I can swap out with the ones that are current on the M-105 that are smaller in Dia. and will still fit the bolt pattern?
If so, I would consider just doing that and using the current axle.
Bolster and laundry trailers come with smaller tires/rims that would help lower the trailer a good bit. But still retains a good weight rating.

I would also remove some of the leaf spring as I would not need all of them for the loads I would be carring.
This would also lower the height of the trailer which is one of the things we want to meet.
We can figure out the load cap. on them as needed.
I will be towing it with a 1/2 ton and do not plan to load the trailer with anymore than approx. 3,000 lbs.

Thanks
RC
I would say taking leafs out would be a little involved given their construction. Also, you do realize the M105 trailer weighs 2700lbs as is stock? You're going to need to find a way to have working brakes with it. (They use a air over hyd setup)

mf5129

it could happen but i havent had a problem.a southern trailer in rustfree condition and common sense go a long way.the rivets could get sheared if abused.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks