• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Converting my m1031 to a pickup and lifting it 6" to run HMMWV 24-bolt MT/R's

pevrs114

How did the spacers work out? I'm putting the same wheels (8 bolt instead of 24) on my F-350. I've sourced a replacement D60 out of a dually, I'm just going to swap the entire axle, since it's already geared 4.10 as opposed to my 3.55's.

My question is in the rear axle: I haven't located a dually rear yet (the donor truck I got is a C&C so it won't work). I'm considering running spacers until I can get the correct dually rear, geared 4.10.

Do the spacers work well?

Thanks!

Glockfan

How did the spacers work out? I'm putting the same wheels (8 bolt instead of 24) on my F-350. I've sourced a replacement D60 out of a dually, I'm just going to swap the entire axle, since it's already geared 4.10 as opposed to my 3.55's.

My question is in the rear axle: I haven't located a dually rear yet (the donor truck I got is a C&C so it won't work). I'm considering running spacers until I can get the correct dually rear, geared 4.10.

Thanks!
I will let you know when I drive it. I am waiting on primer and fresh OD green paint. We are getting real close. My buddy owns Bulldawg Musclecars in Cartersville and is doing the work. I am on his schedule and will get it when he is done. He is going way beyond what I would have been capable of and I am happy he took the project on.

I plan to eventually switch to dually hubs up front. I may run the spacers for awhile on the rear according to how well they work and how safe I feel...

Here are a few recent pics... Notice how far down to the bare metal they have taken it in prep for the primer! The guy in the pic is Joe, the shop owner. FYI- the spacers are not installed on the rear in the pic with Joe in it. The HMMWV wheels have ridiculous back space.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:

red

Thanks!

I'm running 2" wheel spacers both front and rear on my 82 chevy k20 with the humvee wheels/tires. Had to trim the fenders to clear the tires but no issues with the spacers. Will be pushing the front axle forward 1" for clearance with the fenderwell and need to trim some more with my rear fenders. Truck has stock springs with the front sitting 1.5-2" away from the bump stops at ride height.

IMG_20160430_110112738.jpg

Glockfan

One more update... It is primed now! Eventually I will be changing the hubs to something more suitable than the spacers. I have not had the chance to drive it with the spacers installed so we will see how they work out. I will let you guys know when I know more about how hey perform.

13151712_10209580472098833_1881583970798337861_n (1).jpg

gentrysgarage

The setup I had run was dually hubs up front and a Dana 70 HD3 (Chevy dually) rear with the hummer wheels, a little triming but had the right track. don't like spacers, but if you have to run them try and find the steel ones.

Glockfan

Well, we are getting close! Loads of pictures to come once I pick it up. I can't wait to get this on the road!

Here it is with a fresh coat of Gillepsie 383...

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Glockfan

Looking good !

I wished my paint & body looked that good !
I never expected it to turn out this nice. My buddy owns a hotrod shop and has a real eye for detail. He has decided to start doing a couple of military vehicles and 4wd's. My truck was his pilot vehicle. Look up Bulldawg Musclecars in Cartersville, GA.

Glockfan

So, it's been awhile since I posted... I have had my m1031 (now an m1028a1) on the road for a few weeks now. Right away, I decided to make the investment in DRW front hubs and lose the 3" spacers. I did not feel safe running them on the front axle. In addition I decided to scale back to quality hub centric/lug centric machined steel 2" spacers on the rear axle. The cost of the quality steel spacers was double for a pair of what the four cheap Chinese billet spacers were...

I can't say enough positive things about Chris at Offroad Designs. I really feel like we covered nearly every base and the vehicle rides nice and handles well for what it is... I may add crossover steering later but at present, I have no complaints.

Here are a few pics of "SGT Fury"...

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When will it ever stop?[/QUOTE]

It will never stop. I gave up trying to keep track of expenditures of my rebuild around the time I purchased the new hood. It's OK though, it's only play money. I'm spending my daughter's inheritance.

Glockfan

My latest upgrade was clear H4 headlight housings with LED's. This was the best $100 spent so far on the truck! Beautiful bright nighttime lights that clearly illuminate signs, etc. that do not annoy folks. Not one person has flashed me with them on low. The high beams are flamethrowers!

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
image.jpg image.jpg

Glockfan

Lots of other upgrades have taken place as a result of driving it everyday and figuring out what needs to be done. Lots of thanks to Sharecropper for sharing his wisdom and ideas. One idea in particular was the Centromatic Dynamic balancers. I could not see a massive difference until I had my tires trued today and then it was a "eureka" moment! Now it rides oh so sweet.

If there is anything I can do to help fellow SS members with similar projects, please let me know. I couldn't have my truck this far along without you guys!

rustystud

Glockfan

Just upgraded to a 130 foot Dyneema SK75 synthetic winch line. I changed the roller fairlead to a billet Factor 55 hawse type fairlead.

Installed a 24" LED work light above the winch. Switched over to LED headlights in clear H4 housings as mentioned in the previous post, installed new tail lights with Sylvania LED bulbs, replaced the front marker lights.

Added an iron ARB front differential cover on the Dana 60 and a finned cast aluminum Mag-Hytec differential cover on the rear 14-bolt.

Money, money, money... Will it ever stop?

image.jpg

86m1028

When will it ever stop?
It will never stop. I gave up trying to keep track of expenditures of my rebuild around the time I purchased the new hood. It's OK though, it's only play money. I'm spending my daughter's inheritance.[/QUOTE]

Ill gladly drop off one of my m1028's for a "hood replacement" at your place !
Great looking trucks, both of y'all !