• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Converting the military distributor to 12 volts

Crazyguyla

I've had my deuce for about 14 yrs now, and it just sits and sits since I only see it about a week every year.

Here's a little about my deuce for all the new comers, It is a 1957 M45 Chassis Truck with a 210 CFM Harris Compressor on the back. I need to make this truck road worthy soon before something bad happens.

Since I want to keep the water proof ignition and run 12 Volts. Since most ignition coils work on 6 volts, would it be easier to change the ignition feed wire to a predetermined resistance wire or use a coil with an internal resistance. I will be removing the resistor behind the distributor input. This resistor drops the incoming 24v to to a lower voltage.. I don't know if it's 12 or 6 volts. It seems pretty straight forward. I have a 12 volt alternator to replace the generator. Has anyone else tried this with the distributor?

TIA,

Marcus

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would remove the 24 volt dropping resistor like you said and replace it with one designed to drop 12 to 6 volts and see what happens.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
it is very simple. hook 24 volts to it and measure the current draw, with the points closed of course. from there it is just simple math to arrive at the proper resistance for 12 volts. (you want it to still draw the same current)
if there is resistance wire or a resistor, the resistance will be about half what it is now. if no resistor, i.e. a 24 volt coil, you will need to replace the coil.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks