• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

converting to a 4 spd

johnb

I just bought a m1008 and knew that it had some transmition problems, I am wanting to convert it over to a 4spd tranny. The shop is telling me that I need to change out the transfer case also. But I have heard that you can just get a different output shaft and that will take care of it without changing the transfer case. If anyone has done this or has any other info on this and could help that would be great.

Thanks, John

Westech

CPL
you need new t case. I see you don't know a lot about the trans and t cases between the 400 and 700. To install a new out put shaft you need to disassemble the transmission. You can get a used t case for around $50 -$150 bucks that will be a drop in for the 700 trans. you will also need the down shift cable brackets from a 6.2 diesel that had a TH700R4 behind it and will need a lock up kit from B&M to control the Torque converter. Its not a bad swap at all, just make sure you get a 700 that is 1990 or newer or one that has been rebuilt and updated. A t case that was behind a TH700R4 or TH350 will work.

Last edited:

johnb

Thanks, Yah this is my first M1008 or any mv so I have alot to learn, just trying not to get ripped off, he said he could do the whole thing with a rebiult tranny for about 1300