• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cool Freightliner

ReoRider

What better time than this old time winter to hunker down in the shop, wood stove going, and work on an A/C installation. After my first summer with a M916A1 and frequent envious glances at the descriptions of the $ unobtainable A2 and A3 versions with A/C, I started to look at the options.

Checked with Freightliner on the long list of parts needed for the conversion, the used t/o options, and the interesting straight DC powered units. All were possible ways to go, but without a lucky find of used units serious $ were involved. While thinking all this over along came a SS classified post from Tony(tbanks) of recent production Red Dot A/C kits for the M915A2. Knowing that the A2 version of the M915 was the Freightliner/Detroit 60 equipped line haul version of the M916A1, I jumped.

The kit was designed for the armored cabs and since it was a field installation it came with everything - tools to cut the hoses, protective wrap for lines, oil in the compressor, even wire ties to finish the job.

The freightliner is a quieter cab than my 5 ton, where the ear muffs are within reach, but with the temperature extremes and full throttle hills I decided to strip out the cab inside and reinsulate. Removed the cab liner and the factory open cell foam and put in a three part layering of anti-vibration strips, composite insulation and then closed cell foam. With the lining out it was easy to adapt the evaporator mounting bracket to the non-armored cab and then install the ceiling unit after finishing the insulation.
IMG_1947.jpgIMG_1949.jpgIMG_1946.jpgIMG_1952.jpg
The evaporator unit contains the fan speed controls, thermostat, and cool air ducts.

ReoRider

Install continued..

The condenser is easy- freightliners have 4 studs waiting for it across the bottom of the radiator!
The receiver/drier requires a mod to the bracket as the spare tire mount is different from the M915A2 version.

IMG_1954.jpgIMG_1956.jpg

Installation of the compressor again is straightforward with the supplied mounting bracket. There is a spare belt groove on the Detroit waiting for the single belt drive. Need to remove the
three existing belts to install the new one first. Having a -20 manual I like to check with it at every chance for shortcuts. So what I found was.....to remove the three drive belts first remove the fan blade and fan shroud--- to remove these though....remover radiator....and so on with the entire nose off to "replace 3 fan belts". Manuals are not what they used to be! They actually come off in the normal fashion of loosening the tension and threading over the fan blades one at a time.
IMG_1953.jpgIMG_1955.jpg

The refrigerant and electrical lines are generous to allow for cutting to fit and the suggested routing gives a very neat appearance. The unit is powered by the 24volt system in the truck but is feed by a 12 volt relay driven by the 12 volt ignition switch.

So had the whole unit buttoned up and A/C tech friend came over with his gauges and a fresh tank of refrigerant. Hooked up the vacuum pump- ran it during a lunch break - and came back to a solid 29 inches that held nicely. Go to hook up the charging tank and discover he doesn't have the adapter to fit this new style tank. Quick trip to local parts store- small town, close early- run in and ask the boys if they have R-134a left from the summer- well they are still talking about it -was 23 degrees below zero that morning and he wants air conditioning!IMG_1959.jpg Got small cans to get the 3+ pounds into the system. Then only had to wait couple weeks for it to warm up enough to try it out! Works like a champ- side benefit, the cab is even quitter with the extra insulation. Ready for the summer.

IMG_1690_1.jpg

M920

That is a very nice installation! I'm probably going to put A/C in the FEMTT as well.....just have not decided on which system to go with. Make sure and let us know how it works, when the weather warms up....

Soni

ReoRider

Thanks,

The surplus kits seem to have lots of flexibility for positioning parts with the components built separately. There have been plenty of the M915A1 models released with the A/C upgrade so there should be Big Cam 400 compressor brackets around.

John your 5 ton gasser tractor must tearing up :cry: wondering when will I get used again. We should see alot more of your tank or scout car this coming summer!

:tank:

Last edited:

ReoRider

Larry, you don't mean this hardworking 5 ton, after moving loads for years and years- yea it's resting some now. Well disserved I should think.IMG_0595.jpgIMG_1508.jpg

ReoRider

I'll certainly get to Sussex, the 700 mile r/t for the 916A1 depends on finding a set of fresh 14:00 X20's in time to cut the engine revs down. So, will we see your A-frame on the M37??

ReoRider

The Detroit is outstanding, a quiet 1400 ft.lb. machine. The terrain here is not unlike your country side, up and down with only two pieces of straight flat road that I know of in the whole northern part of the state. Hence the need for torque. On the gearing side, 55 is ok all day long, running close to red line. With a heavy armor load, on these two lane crowned roads that works out fine. On the 4 lane interstate would be nice to slow the revs a little. The latest Freightliner (916A3) uses the 7 speed Alison, but gives up the transfer case low range. The math on a tire swap to 14:00's would give a 13% reduction not a problem with the power available.

SteveKuhn

"...will we see your A-frame on the M37??..."

The '37 still isn't on the road, and I doubt I'll have the brakes and tuneup done by April. You've got the edge on your project 'cause I can't seem to find a wood stove that'll warm up the open parking lot where she's parked. I'd love to take her up though, just to prove to everybody who saw her sittin' on her trailer 2 years ago that she really does run. Might make Gilbert.

Truth is, I've been working mostly on the secret weapon :)shock:) with April in mind. You might see the frame on it in one configuration or another.

Steve

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks