• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cool weather starting

Its been getting cooler here at night in NC, down in the mid 30s or so. I decided to drive my Deuce to work today :mrgreen:. This morning it was about 55* out and when I went to start my Deuce I cranked it for about 5 seconds or so with no luck. Even tried giving it a little then a lot on the accelerator (the Cummins in my Dodge likes a tiny bit of throttle and it will fire on the first revolution), but still no luck.

I tried again 10 seconds later I flipped the manifold heater switch for a couple seconds while cranking, and it caught and started.

During the summer when I first bought my Deuce it would always fire right up after just a couple revolutions. I know the manifold heater is not supposed to be needed until temperatures below 20*.

Any ideas whats going on? Is this normal, should I have tried cranking for 10 seconds instead of 5? I see people posting here that their Deuce will start at 30* with just a couple revolutions, so its got me wondering whats going on with mine.

Thanks!

Dennis

Last edited:

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What you describe sounds similar to my experience. My Multi starts on the first revolution in the summer. Now, temperatures around freezing or just below, it will crank for about 5 seconds (which feels like an eternity when you are used to immediate starts).
I crank it at WOT (pedal to the floor) and ease off as it comes to life. I leave rpms low (idle) until it shows full oil pressure, then pull the hand throttle to about 1000 rpm for warm up and air pressure.

Other than prolonged cranking, it never fails to start.

I used the manifold heater for fun and could not really determine a difference. Because the Multi always starts, I was not motivated to check whether the manifold heater is functional or not.

Lots of explanations for longer cranking: batteries are colder and deliver less amperage, oil is stiffer and the engine requires more force to turn over - resulting in slower cranking speed than when warm. Fuel is injected into much colder combustion chambers that will warm up after a few compression cycles, for the fuel to ignite more readily.

Using the manifold heater brings hot air into the combustion chamber, causing quicker startups.

Last edited:

Flyingvan911

It was about 35 degrees here in Kansas City the other morning and my deuce did the same thing. In warm weather it starts right up. Now that it's getting colder it takes a little more effort. It does always start. Just the truck's personality.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree, my deuce is a little harder starting lately since its getting colder. I put the pedal almost to the floor to get it to start. I also try using the manifold heater. As far as i know, my manifold heater works. after i shut it down, i can turn the accessory switch back on and bump the manifold heater a couple times and then ill finally hear a "woof" like it ignited. i dont know if it works during craking though, i dont see why it wouldnt. It will be my first winter with the deuce, so we'll see how it starts in the real cold. I would like to put a block heater in the freeze plug just incase it dosnt want to start.

Barrman

Straight diesel in the tank makes it start faster in the cold as well. Lots of oil in there and it will crank longer in the cold.

ctmustang

I've had deuces over the years that just about all but refused to start in the cold. The manifold heater has a thermal switch that will not let it operate until temp reaches 20 or below but I don't have much faith in it either way. The either start also has a thermal switch that reads coolant temp and I highly recommend it as an add on if your truck doesn't have one on it. The trucks that wouldn't start were in perfect working order so no explanation. Luckily the ones I have now crank fine at the coldest temps.
CT

whyme

mine will start with the throttle wide open, takes a bit and runs like crap until it starts to warm up. either makes no difference, i get pressure at the bleed screw on top of the secondaries and my lift pump is fine but im gonna replace the filters and see if it helps. it honestly starts and runs like its fuel starved until its warm.

lonegunman

I own an A3, different engine, same problem all diesels have. It is grumpy when cold but does fire in a few seconds down to 20-30 degrees. Most of the A2's I drove in the guard were the same way, a little heat or ether goes a long way towards getting them to fire.

800summit

I use the Manifold switch before and during cranking the motor. after she fires keep the switch engauged until the motor smooths out. also make sure you have some kind of additive that will prevent jelling in the tank. Stanadyne, Power Service, etc.

Akicita

Same here.
Temps. dropped to around freezing several times in recent weeks, and it takes a little longer to get the old girl cranking. I only give it very little pedal so that the pump won't put more fuel into the engine than the engine can handle. Once she runs, I pull the throttle part ways out and let her warm up at around 900 RPMs.

Does it hurt to use the manifold heater when its cool(ish) out but it was cold overnight? I can't see it hurting anything, but the TM's specify to only use it below a certain temperature. I don't think mine has a thermal switch on it because it sure made a difference when I started my truck yesterday.

As long as it doesn't hurt to use it at around 50-55* or so that solves my problem, and a lot of cranking on my starter. I guess when it gets cold (30s) overnight and the engine block cools down it just doesn't like to fire up right away even when it warms up a little outside.

800summit

I only use the heater when it is above freezing or below. Heck the temp up here is in the 50-60 degree range in the summer and 20-45 in the fall. The only time I use it is when it is is in the fall and winter. It starts just fine without it untill it gets colder 35- 0F I use it along with the Soligizer for the batteries to be in peak condition before I run it.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
once it gets below 40, ill use it. ill use it a very little even if its warmer, but not much. i just think if you excersize the pump a little bit now and then, it cant hurt it. just a little bump of the switch now and then. as far as i know, the diesel fuel dosnt flow through the manifold heater filter when it is running...or does it. I just think it keeps fresh fuel in the whole system. What do ya'll think?

MiltonFine

Even diesels with glow plugs are unhappy about cold. My '83 300D starts instantly even in the cold, but it will cough quite a bit for about a minute until things get moving. Same with my Cub Cadet tractor, and the same with the Deuce, though the Deuce does not have glow plugs. It's really hard to watch and listen to a diesel cough, but it comes with the territory I suppose.

baxter

I havent started my truck in about a week and it has been in the single digits at night here the last few days. It was 17 when I went out at about noon and after reading this wanted to see how the truck would start about 5 sec of cranking she rumbled to life and just a touch of throttle. I was very happy with that I dont have either or a manifold heater but I do have a freeze plug heater but it wasnt plugged in the cord is plugged into my ford so it will start.