• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Coolant Filter Installation - Which way to plumb

FL_Frank

During my coolant filter install, I had a question I could not answer about the plumbing of the coolant filter. Specifically, which hose went to which side of the filter? To add to the confusion, I have seen them plumbed BOTH ways here on SS. Obviously, I wanted to coolant to flow from the outside of the filter toward the center, the way it is designed to.

To answer this question, I put a clear glass fuel filter (minus element) in line and it told me quickly what was the correct coolant output from the engine (up top by the waterneck) and where the coolant should go back in (down low by the generator). I got lucky and guessed right the first time, which alone was miraculous.

Pictures are attached - I didn't want to screw the filter bracket to the front of the truck so twisted and drilled 2 support brackets out of bar stock to support it. Other than the temporary hose support I had to make, I think it turned out fairly good.

-Frank

Attachments

Last edited:

2Deuces wild

I plumbed mine from the input side of the water pump to the in side of the filter. from the out put side of the filter to the heater input then back to the input side of the block.

Last edited:

Srjeeper

Do a search 'coolant filter install' and there are plenty of threads and diagrams to get things flowin in the right direction for ya. Also 'Cranetruck' can always be counted on to give accurate info if need be also.

dabtl

The install looks nice and the plumbing is correct. You may want to install a valve on the input side to aid cleaning and changing filters.

FL_Frank

Thanks all for the feedback. I did search before posting and found several coolant filter installs - I just didn't know who was right with both plumbing possibilities represented. ;-)

Hoping as time wears on that the glass filter will run clear eventually, then will switch to a filter with DCA in it.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for your confidence SrJeeper, however, I may have been guilty of posting an image, showing the wrong connections in my haste to explain the install some years ago. :oops:
Anyway, the flow of coolant thru the engine is shown in the image below and you have it correct Frank, from the outside to the center of the filter with coolant from the intake manifold port.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks