• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Coolant filter plumbing with engine coolant heater and cab heater

joshs1ofakindxj

Can someone verify my plumbing is correct? I did a lot of reading and studying pictures but I couldn't find anything matching mine exactly so I hope I got this right.

I have the engine coolant heater installed down low in the water pump by generator.

When I say rear or front, I mean in the directions of the rear or front of the truck.

Referencing the pictures, the forward, slightly lower connection on the motor goes to the forward connection of the cab heater core and connects to the outlet (top) of the napa filter base. The upper, rear connection on the motor goes to the rear connection on the cab heater core and connects to the inlet (side) connection of the napa filter base.

Well how did I do?

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Hard to say, I would imagine the coolant would take the path of least resistance(meaning it would bypass the filter). Might want the lines to go to the filter then to the heater in one big loop.

joshs1ofakindxj

Hard to say, I would imagine the coolant would take the path of least resistance. Might want the lines to go to the filter then to the heater in one big loop.
I read that set-up will limit flow to the heater core, since the filter will not pass full flow volume, as it is a by-pass filter. I need my cab heat. :D

Looking at the filter, the orifice in the center for the return is less than 1/8" diameter.

russ132

I attached my filter unit to the side of my heater. In the winter I have the coolant hoses attached to my Heater and the filter plugged. The other three seasons of the year I have the heater plugged and the filter plumbed in. Not elegant but simple and three seasons is the year is better than none I figured. I cut open the filter at the last change and it was as nasty as all of those other pictures.

joshs1ofakindxj

Not related to the above post, but for the record, that is the location my heater hoses went to before I put in the filter and new hoses, and I did have good heat in the cab. Smelly, but good heat.

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I think Russ was just saying that he ran the hoses to the filter for most months and to the heater when its cold, not that your hoses are wrong.

joshs1ofakindxj

Yup, I got that. I was just throwing out that this isn't something I completely came up with last night for any fans following along at home.

Srjeeper

Hard to say, I would imagine the coolant would take the path of least resistance(meaning it would bypass the filter). Might want the lines to go to the filter then to the heater in one big loop.
I agree with gimpyrobb, your filter is simply taking up space the way it's hooked up in the picture. The only time any coolant would flow thru the filter is when the flow to your heater core is blocked off.

There's diagrams in several posts by cranetruck on this, but you'll need to go back and search them out. The addition of a filter in the deuce cooling system is a very good idea, but only if it works all the time as intended.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/31305-deuce-coolant-filter-plumbing.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/14787-correcting-deuce-heater-plumbing.html

Your on the right track...[thumbzup]

Last edited:

russ132

As far as I understand it, the block is iron and slowly rusts, the hoses are rubber and slowly decompose. The scale buildup is seen in hoses when changed show that something is floating around. The coolant filter picks this gunk up and prevents it from plugging up small ports. On other coolant filter threads there is pictures of the coolant filters cut open after being changed. The stuff filtered out is nasty and looks like mud.

joshs1ofakindxj

I might be a little slow, but can someone tell me why there is a need for a filter for the coolant? Thanks.
Have a look at this thread: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-modification-hot-rodding/11143-cut-open-coolant-filter-deuce.html

This filter is cheap insurance for the preservation of your water pump and other engine internals.

Filter head: Wix 24019 & Napa 4019 Base: FleetFilter Secure Online Store

Filter with DCA additive: Wix 24071 & Napa 4071 Coolant Filter: FleetFilter Secure Online Store

Plus, it's one more cool thing to bolt on my truck. [thumbzup]

joshs1ofakindxj

I agree with gimpyrobb, your filter is simply taking up space the way it's hooked up in the picture. The only time any coolant would flow thru the filter is when the flow to your heater core is blocked off.

There's diagrams in several posts by cranetruck on this, but you'll need to go back and search them out. The addition of a filter in the deuce cooling system is a very good idea, but only if it works all the time as intended.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/31305-deuce-coolant-filter-plumbing.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/14787-correcting-deuce-heater-plumbing.html

Your on the right track...[thumbzup]
Seems like if I add a valve to block off the heater core inlet then I should get full flow to the filter when the valve is closed and then almost full flow to the heater core when open, with restricted flow to the filter due to the filter's small flow area.

russ132

One thing I was unable to figure out, is if using HD diesel antifreeze (green), and since the deuce does not have wet sleeves, is there a benefit to using the DCA additives?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks