• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Coolant filter plumbing with engine coolant heater and cab heater

eldgenb

I'm using normal automotive green coolant.
that is the same stuff the military uses. I see all of this as a good safety measure but lets not forget that some how, some way, these trucks have have survived since the 70's without a coolant filter and the gunk in the block is far from the weak link of the multifuel. You will get better performance out of your heater if you insulate the rubber lines with foam wrap from home depot.

Srjeeper

One thing I was unable to figure out, is if using HD diesel antifreeze (green), and since the deuce does not have wet sleeves, is there a benefit to using the DCA additives?
russ132,

Coolants designed for diesel engines have an additive the helps prevent cavatation of the coolant around the sleeve area in the cooling system. My understanding is that there is a certain harmonics that takes place in diesels, that isn't present in gas engines that can & will cause cavation around the sleeves. When this occurs it creates hot spots that can damaged or warp the sleeve by uneven cooling.

DCA is not necessary in any cooling system until the coolant starts to loose it's effectiveness and the ph gets out of wack. NAPA has the test kits and correct additive to bring things back in line.

The purpose of a filter in the cooling system is to help remove the rust and sand particles from the system This in turn helps with longetivity of the water pump bearing and cuts down on blockage in the radiator, heating coil and thermostat.

If any of you correctly put a filter in your system and run your truck 8k miles, remove the filter, cut it open, you'll never again ask why!

As for a filter restricting the flow to your heater. The restriction is no where near enough that you would ever notice a change if everything in the system is installed and working properly.

Hope this help answer some questions....[thumbzup]

joshs1ofakindxj

Well, I figured I would try it as it is and see what happens.

I started up the truck and I could feel all the lines, to the heater and filter, getting warm. While driving around I had good heat in the cab. When I shut down I checked and all the hoses to the heater and filter were hot and the filter was very hot.

Seems like everything is flowing good and I will leave it like it is.

Kohburn

Well, I figured I would try it as it is and see what happens.

I started up the truck and I could feel all the lines, to the heater and filter, getting warm. While driving around I had good heat in the cab. When I shut down I checked and all the hoses to the heater and filter were hot and the filter was very hot.

Seems like everything is flowing good and I will leave it like it is.
heat will travel by conduction - you could have a valve shutting off flow to the filter and the lines would still get hot. heat flow does not indicate fluid flow

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Josh, your installation is just fine, you have two separate paths from the water jacket to the pump and the condition of one does not effect the other as long as the capacity of the pump is not exceeded (not likely, unless there is busted hose or something like that).
The dwg below shows your setup a bit more clearly...

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks