• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Coolant Filter Yes or No

big block 88

Just the filter that was layin around. While i have ran them short term in my truck i run a different donaldson number.

Im not following on the thread base issue. There is several different media type filters for this base. Machines at work use this base with a much larger filter (length) some numbers for hydraulic some numbers for coolant and others for oil. Fuel filters are much larger and a different head altogether

on Edit: i will say one thing though juan, you made me just see that the heads i use are 3/4-20. The filters i use are 3/4-16. Whats odd is they thread on perfectly, i would think they would have issues....

Attachments

Last edited:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In another lifetime, I sold parts for 20 years. I recognized your filter as being extremely common Ford filter used for 25 years FL1A, Ph8a,1515 etc. Ford L6 and V8's

In a general rule but not all manufactures are the same, oil ,hydraulic,fuel and coolant filters use different threads & sealing gasket location so they can not be substituted. I had access to a bunch of filter heads off scrap 5 ton and tried to repurpose the hydraulic t filter bases but no other media was available except hydraulic in that thread.

Wix, Napa, Baldwin, Donaldon all have a numeral 4070,4071,4072 etc in their coolant filters but can have different prefix/sufix. Another thing that caught my eye.

The paper media and micron level is probably different along with the pressure for the bypass/relief valve for an oil filter to coolant filter along with the viscosity of the fluid.

StackJ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just changed the coolant in mine. After three flushes, I still have rusty water. I had to switch out the heater valve anyway so I ran the Prestone Cleaner through and then pulled a couple of hoses. A good amount of rust still in the hoses, also in the heater core intake.

What drained out was still rusty so I am interested in adding a coolant filter too. The filter option makes sense. You can rinse forever or remove it from circulation.

My questions are:

Did I miss a PN here? I see a reference to Donaldson. I don't necessarily trust the guys at my local store.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
on my 5 ton, I did use valves. The base I used already had valves and was from a Detroit application. Simple inline valves whether pvc or brass would also work. Even if you did not use valves, it would be no more messier than changing a heater hose.

Wix 24070, Napa 4070 is probably the best filter to use as it does not have chemical for regular green a/f and I don't believe the 6.2 or 6.5 need it. Oreilly, Napa, carquest all carry WIX so easy to find without having to seek a HD parts store. Donaldson P554685

Filter base kit is Wix 24019 or Napa 4019 for 11/16-16 threaded filters. Donaldson P550840

There are also different filters without chemical if you are using the extended drain or newer style colored anti freeze. I am not as well versed on those as that became more prevalent after I left the parts business. If you are using those, call the wix tech hot line for advise. I always found them great. 1-800-949-6698

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just the filter that was layin around. While i have ran them short term in my truck i run a different donaldson number.

Im not following on the thread base issue. There is several different media type filters for this base. Machines at work use this base with a much larger filter (length) some numbers for hydraulic some numbers for coolant and others for oil. Fuel filters are much larger and a different head altogether

on Edit: i will say one thing though juan, you made me just see that the heads i use are 3/4-20. The filters i use are 3/4-16. Whats odd is they thread on perfectly, i would think they would have issues....
I found that some Mack applications do use a 3/4-20 Coolant filter. That could be your base?

big block 88

I found that some Mack applications do use a 3/4-20 Coolant filter. That could be your base?

That is possible. The units they were ordered for are very large stationary mixing machines they used 4 in a series for each fluid coolant hydro and oil. The machines have since been changed over to much more sophisticated design of centerfuge and MASSIVE spin ons. So they had dozens of these laying around, i checked with the oilers and mechanics to verify coolant is ok with them and that i would be able to find coolant filters in that thread and all was good. While they did recommend using the donaldson number i posted earlier the oil filter will suffice if kept changed. That said you are correct in the pic i showed had an oil filter on it from a remote mount i put on my skid steer i have run them on my 925a1 and they have done their job. But i never run them long and dont really feel like seeing one fall apart and killing my water pump.

One thing to keep in mind is the low pressures a coolant system is running at when compared to hydro and oil the bypass may not pop, but i think the biggest issue would micron and what the media does when saturated by coolant.

i will be trying the WIX 24428 as i have a few of those coming.

Last edited:

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
A a Deuce I put one in the cheapest I could as a test. When cutting open the filter to see I found the media did not breakdown but did get fouled with crud. It works.
CCW filter complete 09172014.jpgCCW use oil filter + head.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks