• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Coolant in engine oil

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Im getting coolant in the engine oil of my NHC250. Im guessing oil cooler. Any other ideas?
That's the most likely. I have had that happen a couple of times, but on other engines. After I replaced the cooler, I used a whole box of Cascade Dishwasher soap in the radiator, and ran it up to temperature for a couple of hours, to clean the system.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As has been stated, it could be lots of things. The worst of which would be a cylinder liner but I'd eliminate all other things first.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hole in the cylinder liner.
Head gasket.
Any other symptoms?
Leaking oil cooler will put oil in the coolent, not the inverse. I had the same issue, turned out to be #3 cyl liner scrored/cracked. Symptoms; Started and ran ok, made stream at idle that burned the eyes. Drop the oil pan and bar the engine over. Let us know.
JC

BrainP

it runs great but smokes. Haven't notice a loss in power. i know what you mean about oil in coolant. oil pressure is higher than coolant pressure except when not running. Other than that it got hot on me, but due to low coolant i bet. Not much rain out here or where it came from. guess I'm going to have to start opening it up. thanks for the ideas.

BrainP

Has anyone put a turbo on one of theses and seen big difference? If I'm going to tear into it I might as well consider anything else I've thought about doing.

elkhtr

it runs great but smokes. Haven't notice a loss in power. i know what you mean about oil in coolant. oil pressure is higher than coolant pressure except when not running. Other than that it got hot on me, but due to low coolant i bet. Not much rain out here or where it came from. guess I'm going to have to start opening it up. thanks for the ideas.
What color is the smoke, what does it smell like?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
May be time to drop the oil pan a see if you can see where the water is coming from. It will work better if you have a way to pressurize the cooling system a little.

If you've got heavy white smoke from the exhaust, It pretty much has to be a head gasket or liner.

Electrolysis isn't all that uncommon in these engines. I've rebuilt two of these engines where the liners were ate completely through because of it.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's the most likely. I have had that happen a couple of times, but on other engines. After I replaced the cooler, I used a whole box of Cascade Dishwasher soap in the radiator, and ran it up to temperature for a couple of hours, to clean the system.
wow... Better skip this one! I read it backwards!

elkhtr

May be time to drop the oil pan a see if you can see where the water is coming from. It will work better if you have a way to pressurize the cooling system a little.

If you've got heavy white smoke from the exhaust, It pretty much has to be a head gasket or liner.

Electrolysis isn't all that uncommon in these engines. I've rebuilt two of these engines where the liners were ate completely through because of it.
This is what I did to find my coolant in oil problem.
Drop the pan, and yes it will come out with a little wiggling.
Made a simple tee, plumbed it into the port the water temb sensor is at.
The tee had a schrader valve and a pressure gage.
Gently put about 12 psi on it, and a couple seconds later it was raining from #1 cylinder.
Hope that you see something else.
Good luck!

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The coppers are the copper sleeves in the head that are at the bottom of the injector bore. Coolant is on the other side of them, it is thin copper to cool the injectors. If the cooling system has been neglected, the same type of cavitation, erosion, electrolysis can happen to the copper where the coolant meets an area of cast iron/copper junction. The coolant can and will eventually erode the copper causing coolant to leak into the cylinder and in real bad cases, put compression into the cooling system. the coolant will go right past the rings into the oil. In cases where the copper leaks real bad, the engine hydraulics. In the case of one leaking under pressure, the coolant leak will be slow enough to fill the bowl on the piston and just leak past the rings. The symptom of that is heavy white, sweet smelling (if antifreeze is in use) smoke at start up, maybe a miss that goes away after a min or so after start up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks