• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Coolant in rear diff

M1028A1ShelterCarrier

Hello,

While changing the fluids on a new to me 2012/M1167 from GP, I found oil in my rear diff that looks like a milkshake. I also noticed that the vent line was also removed/hanging. I drained to diff and waited till the next day to see is the cooling system is leaking. Sure enough, I drained coolant from the diff the next morning. So here are my questions;

1. Can these cooled covers be serviced or is it trash?
2. Does the truck coolant system have to be drained and brakes removed to swap covers?
3. Can they be found for less then a couple $200?

Here is a picture of my cover. I could not find this procedure in the latest TM or M1167 TB.

Attachments

Reactions: OBX

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was the vent line capped off? Hopefully it was just the cooling coil in the cover so yes you could just cap of the ends going to the cooler and connect the two coolant lines together. This can also happen in the transfer case as well as other coil coolers and is commonly called a vampire leak.

These are problematic as tranny fluid fills up the transfer case and flows out the vent lines to everything that system is attached to. Can make a real mess and lowers your tranny of fluid and that causes it own issues.

Mark

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks