• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Coolant issue!!

Ggping

I have looked around and can’t find anything pertaining to my problem.
Bought a M1008 and noticed that the hoses were looking a little rotted or swollen. So I decided to replace heater, core lines, upper and lower hoses. Bypass hose, etc.. put a new overflow tank and refill the radiator

Somehow, this has developed into a leak that I cannot find. I have coolant coming from the middle just behind the harmonic balancer. And under the overflow bottle. I first checked all my hoses and all was good all tight not leaking. Try to look at the water pump and don’t see any moisture coming from the top bottom middle or sides. Overflow is tight no cracks etc.

Tried looking on the backside of the radiator and I do see what appears to be a small leak coming from the lower corner. So that is probably where the leak is under the overflow tank.

But I cannot figure out where the leak is coming from that shows below the harmonic balancer. So my question is after replacing all hoses and more than likely building proper coolant pressure. Do you think by doing what I’ve done has somehow caused a failure in the water pump?

there was no leak prior to doing all this

nyoffroad

I have looked around and can’t find anything pertaining to my problem.
Bought a M1008 and noticed that the hoses were looking a little rotted or swollen. So I decided to replace heater, core lines, upper and lower hoses. Bypass hose, etc.. put a new overflow tank and refill the radiator

Somehow, this has developed into a leak that I cannot find. I have coolant coming from the middle just behind the harmonic balancer. And under the overflow bottle. I first checked all my hoses and all was good all tight not leaking. Try to look at the water pump and don’t see any moisture coming from the top bottom middle or sides. Overflow is tight no cracks etc.

Tried looking on the backside of the radiator and I do see what appears to be a small leak coming from the lower corner. So that is probably where the leak is under the overflow tank.

But I cannot figure out where the leak is coming from that shows below the harmonic balancer. So my question is after replacing all hoses and more than likely building proper coolant pressure. Do you think by doing what I’ve done has somehow caused a failure in the water pump?

there was no leak prior to doing all this
I'd double check that bypass hose first, and then it might just be a coincidence that the water pump seal went. Did you by chance overtighten a belt and put unusual stress on an old and unflexible water pump seal?

Ggping

I'd double check that bypass hose first, and then it might just be a coincidence that the water pump seal went. Did you by chance overtighten a belt and put unusual stress on an old and unflexible water pump seal?
Ya checked the bypass again and no issue….I don’t believe I over tightened the belts. I did forget to mention I did put new belts on as the others ones didn’t have much life left in them. I’m guessing the new belts were enough to cause an leak perhaps. Honestly won’t really know unless I start tearing it apart. 🤬 again!!!

cucvrus

The coolant crossover manifold that houses the thermostat has 2 seals/gaskets that attach it to the heads. 1 on each side. It will leak there and travel down the valley under the intake and drip out the weep hole of the block. look under the intake manifold. There are also 2 of the coolant gaskets at the back of the head because the heads are interchangeable L for R and vice versa. Good Luck Be Safe.

Ggping

The coolant crossover manifold that houses the thermostat has 2 seals/gaskets that attach it to the heads. 1 on each side. It will leak there and travel down the valley under the intake and drip out the weep hole of the block. look under the intake manifold. There are also 2 of the coolant gaskets at the back of the head because the heads are interchangeable L for R and vice versa. Good Luck Be Safe.
Yes I will definitely look at that. Just sort of an update. Drove the rig around yesterday nice and warm pulled into garage. Let this thing sit and cool down. And well didn’t leak…coolant is full. Reservoir tank at proper lever. This make absolutely no sense.

as far as the weep hole. Where is it located? I would imagine that the pulley needs to come off to see it.

Valor

The water pump weep hole is on the underside of the water pump snout where the fan bolts. There is a small hole there that when the water pump seal goes bad, it will leak and tell you it's time to replace the pump. If it continues to leak, it will cause the pump shaft bearing to go bad then you have noises and wobble. Hope that helps.

Ggping

The water pump weep hole is on the underside of the water pump snout where the fan bolts. There is a small hole there that when the water pump seal goes bad, it will leak and tell you it's time to replace the pump. If it continues to leak, it will cause the pump shaft bearing to go bad then you have noises and wobble. Hope that helps.
Thank you…I dunno I seem the have a motor that self heals. No more leaking. I literally have done nothing yet. I checked to make sure fluids are good and everything is full. I get good coolant circulation . Even the radiator has stopped leaking…so ya. But I do have all parts to fix which I will do this winter regardless.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks