• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Coolant Leak

bsteinborn

I've got an M35A2 that I picked up in CA and drove to TX back in September. The truck ran great and the temperature never went above 190 degrees. On a recent short drive I
smelled antifreeze inside the cab and then noticed the antifreeze coming in along the drivers floor and on the left front fender. Brought it home, opened the hood and it appeared
that the leak was coming from the rubber coolant hose behind the oil filters. Replaced the hose, drained the coolant that was remaining in the radiator and re-filled with new coolant.
It idled great so thought it was fixed. Took it out for a short drive and the same thing happened. Brought it back, added 3 gallons of water to fill radiator. Had planned to do
a pressure test but my tester doesn't have the correct cap size. Any thoughts on why it would dump so much coolant and yet appear fine while idling? I would expect any serious leak
to continue even during idle. Anyone know of a coolant pressure tester with the correct radiator cap size? Thanks!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can easily pressurize the system by pulling out the temp sending unit(or a plug next to it) and installing a gauge and schrader valve. Your cap will act as a safety relief. Put 5 psi in and watch for your leak.

Last edited:

Heavysteven

You can easily pressurize the system by pulling out the temp sending unit(or a plug next to it) and installing a gauge and schrader valve. Your cap will act as a safety relief. Put 5 psi in and watch for your leak.
You've been holding out on us....I wish i would have know this last summer. Excellent idea.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks