• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Coolant Overflow Tank Fail!

gcbennet

So i finally got my truck back up and running again and took it for a test run to get everything moving on her again. Of all the things to fail- the coolant overflow tank. Total what the heck moment when i lifted the hood and saw a 3-foot stream of coolant squirting all over the top of my engine out of a pin hole up near the cap neck. I'm not what caused it, but it's definitely something with potential to ruin a good day. I've ordered a new tank from Woolfer for $45 USD but i'm curious about the diverse pricing. Some are offered by HMMWV parts vendors in excess of $100, while others are less than $50 brand new. Even Woolfer offers one for $45 and their next listing is a seemingly identical one for $110. Anyone know why there's such an extreme range in prices?

Last edited by a moderator:

DatGuyC

When I bought my truck it was missing the overflow bottle so I had to get a new one. I've been through 2 of those plastic ones and they both failed on the first drive. One I bought used on ebay, the other I got "new" from woolfer. After the second failed I have no more trust in those plastic bottles. I ponied up the money ($300) and got a completely aluminum overflow bottle and have had no problems for several thousand miles. I don't worry at all anymore if that plastic bottle is gonna crack somewhere and leave me stranded.

Last edited:

gcbennet

The tank i got from Woolfer is listed as being manf'd by OEM and is described as “NEW SURPLUS MILITARY OVERSTOCK”. Anybody would read that as being legit NOS, so if they're passing Chinese knock-offs as surplus NOS that's pretty shady. I hope that's not the case.

dilvoy

NOS Gov Surplus would have some sort of typical military packaging and labeling. Otherwise it would have most likely have been damaged by water and then any metal parts on the washer bottle would show signs of having been inside a wet box for at least one winter season. If your NOS Overflow Bottle is all brandy new looking with no military packaging than it probably is not US MIL Surplus.

KsM715

It's possible those "OEM" containers were made/ ordered by the OEM and rejected by the Gov when they found out they were made in China and the company dumped them into the surplus market as "overstock". That's something I've noticed about "NOS" surplus, sometimes that stuff goes to surplus for a reason. I.E. All those ibis tek towbar said that got dumped into surplus awhile ago

dilvoy

It's possible those "OEM" containers were made/ ordered by the OEM and rejected by the Gov when they found out they were made in China and the company dumped them into the surplus market as "overstock". That's something I've noticed about "NOS" surplus, sometimes that stuff goes to surplus for a reason. I.E. All those ibis tek towbar said that got dumped into surplus awhile ago

The Gov gets rid of bad stuff by surplussing it too so you have to watch what you are buying. At least with Mil Vehicle stuff. If it has the NSN Stamped or painted onto it or there is some label there you can probably figure it is original USGI and it is of the correct quality. If it has no markings and still has the proper coating or paint surfaces, then you have to make a call. If a certain item is normally painted with carc paint and the one in your hand is blued or has some other finish, you have to take note that it could be make to fit, but there could be internal differences that could make it weaker or maybe dangerous. Axle shafts might be something to be carefull about, a red or orange reflector maybe not so much.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Althing runner has a shelf life....once it's up, it's surplused out.
even rivets have a shelf life in aviation...the lubricant applied to them actually has a shelf life, not the actual rivet.
the box is one tell tale sign, but anything I've seen NOS has mfg no., NSN etc on them....nothing= After market or foreign.

DSO_351

There were 2 overflow tank designs. First was basically a cylinder with certain capacity. Second body was cylindrical however with a square lower neck with more capacity. Each version has a different drain hose. Second version is very similar to H1.

DatGuyC

They are referencing the h1's which came out in 92, it should work fine for your hmmwv. I would suggest getting new coolant hoses while you're already in there and have them disconnected anyways.

gcbennet

I removed the tank from my truck and judging from the amount of micro cracking all over it I would assume it's original. During removal one of the return nipples actually cracked off with a chunk of the tank itself. I'm shocked the thing lasted this long! One observation, as stated previously the return ports contain flash from the moulding process which all but obstructs the passage of coolant and seriously need to be opened up.

gcbennet

image.jpg

Here's the culprit. The previous owner painted the tank black and the age cracking wasn't seen until i removed some of the paint to investigate the leak.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks