• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Coolant type

Hasdrubal

Going to flush and replace the coolant in my M1009. Always used regular green before. Wondering what type of antifreeze you guys have used, what gives the longest corrosion protection.

cucvrus

GM Dex-Cool

GM Dex-Cool if your asking. Well maybe not. A mechanic that works for me said it causes corrosion. I thought all antifreeze did eventually. Well anyway I have been using it for years and every new GM vehicle I get has it is for nearly 20 years. So I am still going to keep using it. It makes it like 1 fuel for 1 Army (diesel) and 1 antifreeze for all vehicles. I guess. Sort of. It works and it's an opinion thing again. Can't believe everything you read on the internet.

Last edited:

Skinny

DexCool is a great antifreeze when changed within a reasonable amount of time. I think it got a bad rap when people thought it was a lifetime fluid as GM touted. I would personally not spend the money for it. I run plain jane green and change once a year...easy peazy lemon squeezy. I think as long as your grounds are ok, you won't have to much dissimiliar metals in the cooling system to cause massive amounts of corrosion issues.

hoplite666

There's always Evan's Waterless Coolant. Big money though. I suppose if my pockets were deeper I'd run it in my rig. I use it in my motorcycles. They do, however, use less than a gallon of coolant so @ $45 a gallon I can manage.
After 30 years the backing plate on my water pump was etched and corroded quite a bit, that would have never happened with Evans.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks