• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cooling fan switch thread size?

HUMMER H1

Hey guys I am looking for a thread size for fan switch,
My humvee is 12v setup, I made a manual override switch to turn on the fan on demand, however I also need to replace the thermostatic switch to 12v, so it can turn on the fan automatically,

if I know the correct size I can order is from Napa.

thank you

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are talking about the switch that is in the water cross over I believe it is 1/2" NPT

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Isn't the cadillac valve still going to be 24V?
Or am I missing something?

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you considered switching to a civilian style fan clutch setup rather than the military one? The only real advantage to the military one has to do with deep water fording, or possibly that it locks up 100% for a little more aiflow. It honestly seems like more hassle than it's worth for only those 2 items if everything else is 12V.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't see where the the switch would care if it was running 12V or 24V as long as you do not exceed the current rating

HUMMER H1

Have you considered switching to a civilian style fan clutch setup rather than the military one? The only real advantage to the military one has to do with deep water fording, or possibly that it locks up 100% for a little more aiflow. It honestly seems like more hassle than it's worth for only those 2 items if everything else is 12V.
I have thought about it but very quickly decided that humvee style is much better,

humvee style hydraulic fan is 100% lock up setup just like large trucks.
The civilian style is not 100% lock up.

i also need to change the pulleys and a lot of things to make civilian style work, because humvee has 8 groove belt, H1 has only 5 groove belt

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have thought about it but very quickly decided that humvee style is much better,

humvee style hydraulic fan is 100% lock up setup just like large trucks.
The civilian style is not 100% lock up.

i also need to change the pulleys and a lot of things to make civilian style work, because humvee has 8 groove belt, H1 has only 5 groove belt
like all civilian style viscous fan clutches, it locks up based on temp flowing across the thermostat on the clutch, I’ve been installing these on trucks in my shop, so it maintains an overall lower temp, the OEM setup is on and off, doesn’t come on till 220, the OEM fan is a 14k CFM, it moves a massive amount air and lowers temp within 30-60 seconds, the problem is the end user, 99% of my customers are not ex-military hmmwv drivers or mechanics, they dont drive these trucks with the watchful eyes of a mechanic, meaning,…..when one of the components in the cooling systems fails “generally the thermostatic switch” ite too late for the motor, for the driver who fully understands this system and is the type that scans the gauges and listens for the fan engagement as part of the driving experience, than the OEM setup is fine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks