• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cooling issue

cshaw07

1985 m1009 35k miles

Just changed: rad hoses, heater hoses, thermostat, flushed/replaced coolant, new block heater.

I drained the coolant, flushed with water a couple time, then added 1/2 gallon of vinegar filled with water and let it warm up. Drained that and flushed with water again, then added 3 gallons of green antifreeze and the rest water. Before i did all of this it would warm up to about 180*, now its at 195* and sometimes higher. I went wheelin' yesterday and once it got up to about 215*ish. I figured it was just because i was pushing it pretty hard but then on the way home on the highway it was sometimes a bit above what it should be. Should i be concerned? with the old t-stat I never had it go anywhere near north of 200*. I burn no oil and use no coolant, no bubbles in rad with engine running etc. I dont believe i have a cracked/warped head or a bad head gasket. Could flushing it of caused damage to something? partially plugged rad? bad t stat? bad water pump?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What thermostat did you use? The one that looks like a hockey puck or just metal?

cshaw07

hockey puck, bought it from autozone. if i got a bad thermostat i honestly wouldnt be suprised at all. seems like all the new parts i buy for this thing from anywhere are broken or wrong haha

kenz5380

Was the old thermostat rated for 180 and the new one rated for 195? I know that a lot of OEM thermostats are set to open at 195. In our HMMWVs in the Marines they were set to operate at 225, which I always thought was very hot and probably led to a lot of issues but I was told this was because hot engines are a little quieter. I would check the rating on your new thermostat then, if it is 195, go back to the store and get a lower one.

kenz5380

Yes, the fan clutch is often faulty in older vehicles. I've run into that one before as well. The last one I bought was $40 or so.

197thhhc

The lower hose should have a spring in it. They can collapse and restrict coolant flow. Does your fan clutch engage when its running hot? I think Southdave may be correct.

cshaw07

I used vinegar as a flush for the coolant, even with that it came out clean water. I did put the spring in the bottom hose. Could be fan clutch, when i get home from work tonight ill try to stop it with a rolled up newspaper or something. I have to fix this issue and now my brake lights wont go off haha never ends

MarcusOReallyus

Don, I don't use Cascade, I use Amway SA8, their laundry detergent. It was recommended to me by an old mechanic, and it works great. I've been running it in my Jeep pretty much all summer, because I have been too busy to finish the job. I usually run it for 2-3 weeks. About a quarter cup. It has rust inhibitors in it, and no pumice. (Some laundry powders have pumice in them!).

No, I don't sell the stuff, and I don't want to talk to you about a great business opportunity! :mrgreen:

It just works.

donalloy1

Don, I don't use Cascade, I use Amway SA8, their laundry detergent. It was recommended to me by an old mechanic, and it works great. I've been running it in my Jeep pretty much all summer, because I have been too busy to finish the job. I usually run it for 2-3 weeks. About a quarter cup. It has rust inhibitors in it, and no pumice. (Some laundry powders have pumice in them!).

No, I don't sell the stuff, and I don't want to talk to you about a great business opportunity! :mrgreen:

It just works.
yes I use the cascade if you doudt it look up on the net... I works alot better then the prestone stuff.. just flush really well after you drain the solution.
Learn something new everyday! Old Dog learned a new Trick or two. Thanks!