• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cooling system Maintenance (LDS465-1A)

kaiser2help

Can anyone tell me a good technique on draining the coolant from my multi-fuel? I am not sure how many drains are on the block and perhaps anywere else. I found the obvious ones on the bottom of the radiator and on the left side of the block ( on the turbo side). But if there are others I cannot find them. Thanks for the help.

2027Deuce

Its a process, Cranetruck wrote an excellent article on this. Basically drain it out (you'll only get 5 gallons) and refill with distilled water. Warm the engine up to open thermostate and drain again, repeat this process 4 times. On the fifth fill, use 4 gals antifreeze and 1 gal. distilled water. Also add SCA or DCA at this time.

Adding a coolant filter is also a great idea. Do a search here on the deuce forum for directions and pics.

Good luck.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
To drain it totally, I would pull the radiator and the thermostat housing. Then run pressurized air through the hole where the thermostat was. It will not get it ALL out, but most of it. Are you asking for a reason? Maybe replacing all the hoses? Just want to put new coolant in?

2027Deuce

Yep it works Bjorn, just completed the 109 coolant change, ready to do the M35. Have coolant filters for both as well. I think the coolant filters and the oil filter adapters from John Tennis are a must for any deuce I own.