• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cooling system questions

Lenny

Hello to the group
This past Spring I removed the thermostat and used an acid based flush to clean out all the nasty stuff from my cooling system. The water was pretty rusty and dirty and it took awhile before it ran clear. I ran the truck a few days like this, flushed it again with water only, replaced the thermostat, and then refiled it with tap water. Its been running all summer like this at about 165 degrees F and I confirmed that I'm also getting heat so I'm satisfied that there are no blockages or an other impediments to the flow.

I'm in New Hampshire so now it's time to winterize the truck. I would like to protect down to -20 degrees F, so it looks like I would need 14 quarts of full strength antifreeze to do this, or about 30 quarts of 50/50. Does that sound about right?

If I drain whatever I can from the block and the radiator is it likely that I would be able to get 14 quarts of straight antifreeze in before it overflows out of the radiator?

This guy told me about his freeze plugs rotting out so the other thing I would like to do is replenish the water with distilled water which I've gotten and filtered out of my dehumidifier the last few weeks. So my question on that issue is, is it OK to force remaining water out of the cooling system using compressed air? Could I perhaps inject 15lbs of air into the radiator petcock for instance and have the water get pushed out through the block drain? Then I could be assured that there would be plenty of room for the required coolant. I don't want to get overly anal on this but as long as I have the distilled I may as well make use of it. Thanks for any advice, Lenny

Flyingvan911

About 160 or so is normal unless it's super hot out or you're doing up a steep, long hill. The tech manual says normal operating temp is 180 but 160 is average. I put in premixed 50/50 antifreeze. The official capacity is 32 quarts. Don't be surprised if at some point after filling he system you drive the truck and it spits a little out. Each truck seems to have it's own prefered full level.

TGP (IL)

I would add a cooling system conditioner also.
Drain the radiator and fill with 3 1/2 gal. quality straight antifreeze.
I always try for -40 protection.
Tom

Lenny

Does anyone know about or have you ever used compressed air to get all the water out of a cooling system? Lenny

rustystud

Does anyone know about or have you ever used compressed air to get all the water out of a cooling system? Lenny
Be very careful when using air pressure on any cooling system ! They are not made to handle more then 15PSI working pressure ! At work we pressurize the systems up to 20PSI to check for leaks on the busses, but only for a very short period of time !
For me I wouldn't do it. It's not worth the risk of a blown radiator.

Lenny

Thanks everyone for your responses. And rusty thanks for your input about the pressure. I'll keep it under 15lbs. Lenny