• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cooling upgrade system.

Wire Fox

I'll wait for the results (I'm still NMC right now, so no point in getting in a hurry...) before I drop in my order, but thanks for the photos of your assumbly and the work you've put into it!

NormB

Update:
All orders have been shipped and the last of 4 initial kits was sold locally. I was able to build one additional kit which is now available as the paint dries. I will be building more kits but as the demand seems high I will be taking pre-orders to give people a guaranteed place. Here are the pics and I can send the installation instruction via PM if anyone is interested.

View attachment 676024View attachment 676025View attachment 676026View attachment 676027View attachment 676028
Looks simple enough, elegant, even. Of course, a good "tactical black" or camo finish would take the prize.

Looking forward to reading test results from the early adopters.

Thanks for posting.

911joeblow

Looks simple enough, elegant, even. Of course, a good "tactical black" or camo finish would take the prize.

Thanks for posting.
I think the next batch might be all blue but black would be so cost prohibitive in the volume I am doing to make any sense. The AN fittings are just not common in black. Besides a lot of OEM hoses on the HMMWVs are blue!

911joeblow

Thanks for posting.
I guess you could paint it? Shame to hide all that Aluminum machining work but OK.

911joeblow

I machined up steel male AN bungs for the rear block plates. I then TIG welded those to new plates. The hoses are assembled and then the rest is procured. All the AN fittings are CNC machined which is what I meant by 'Shame to hide all that Aluminum machining work...".

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just got mine in, great quality and looks goods
Hopefully I will have the time to install it tonight
IMG_1546.JPG

Bravojmc

I machined up steel male AN bungs for the rear block plates. I then TIG welded those to new plates. The hoses are assembled and then the rest is procured. All the AN fittings are CNC machined which is what I meant by 'Shame to hide all that Aluminum machining work...".
I saw one of your kits on Fleabay... was that yours?

911joeblow

Well how are the sales going?
I have sold a bunch locally to existing friends and clients. I have also had several sales inquiries from EBAY but slow start. I have enough in sales to proceed. I don't expect to make much when it is all said and done. I have other projects in the works though.

I have a dual heat/cool system (front/rear independent systems) that are all custom made to fit nicely and blow much more of both heat and air than the RedDot and factory set-ups. I have agreed to make 10 set-ups for local guys and will probably end up offering it as a full bolt-on deal for everybody else in either front only or dual as desired.

I have also been asked to turbocharge enough HMMWVs that I am looking into that too. The ones I have done worked out very nicely and were not anywhere near as much work as a full 6.5T swap is and are far more powerful and efficient than the factory deal.

I have built some HD 700R4 mechanical transmissions for HMMWVs and really prefer them to the 4L80Es. Less complicated, no electronics, easier to fit and less money and better gear ratios. I have made custom brackets, cables and shifters for the set-up and am able to reproduce all of it if I want too.

Lastly I have been looking at all the demand for hard tops and feel that the Marine 4-door pickup is what is most want but just none out there for reasonable money. Along with this would be a mold for composite hard doors with insulation in them for less noise and better heat/cool.

I have another business and an aviation job too so time is NOT on my side. ;)

Bravojmc

I have sold a bunch locally to existing friends and clients. I have also had several sales inquiries from EBAY but slow start. I have enough in sales to proceed. I don't expect to make much when it is all said and done. I have other projects in the works though.

I have a dual heat/cool system (front/rear independent systems) that are all custom made to fit nicely and blow much more of both heat and air than the RedDot and factory set-ups. I have agreed to make 10 set-ups for local guys and will probably end up offering it as a full bolt-on deal for everybody else in either front only or dual as desired.

I have also been asked to turbocharge enough HMMWVs that I am looking into that too. The ones I have done worked out very nicely and were not anywhere near as much work as a full 6.5T swap is and are far more powerful and efficient than the factory deal.

I have built some HD 700R4 mechanical transmissions for HMMWVs and really prefer them to the 4L80Es. Less complicated, no electronics, easier to fit and less money and better gear ratios. I have made custom brackets, cables and shifters for the set-up and am able to reproduce all of it if I want too.

Lastly I have been looking at all the demand for hard tops and feel that the Marine 4-door pickup is what is most want but just none out there for reasonable money. Along with this would be a mold for composite hard doors with insulation in them for less noise and better heat/cool.

I have another business and an aviation job too so time is NOT on my side. ;)
Nice, I'm in the market for that same looking top, (four door pickup) I just can't pull the trigger on Plan B's hard top... self tapper screws and pretty thin aluminum and the angle of the rear wall or window...

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since we are talking about tops etc...I know that this will put me in the Buba zone, but I was thinking of building or buying a set of skeleton or pipe doors for my toy
Has anyone seen these or would be intereted in buidling a set, something in this style, they are for Jeeps, but they would be nice on a Humvee
rear-tube-door-war90774-mc_2556.jpg

911joeblow

Nice, I'm in the market for that same looking top, (four door pickup) I just can't pull the trigger on Plan B's hard top... self tapper screws and pretty thin aluminum and the angle of the rear wall or window...
Yep, my thoughts exactly. The tops I am talking about are 1/4" aluminum and MIG welded together, no rivets or sheet metal screws. The rear wall is the hard part as it is complex geometry to get everything right. The only way I will do this is with laser cut panels and a full size jig made off of a actual truck. The big issue with this is the freight will be very high with this set-up.

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For the top , you could always have it in two pieces, with tapered edges and use a really strong glue to put it together, I personaly would not mind a seem in the middle

911joeblow

Since we are talking about tops etc...I know that this will put me in the Buba zone, but I was thinking of building or buying a set of skeleton or pipe doors for my toy
Has anyone seen these or would be intereted in buidling a set, something in this style, they are for Jeeps, but they would be nice on a Humvee
View attachment 676616
I had a set of hard X-doors in bad shape that I cut in half and made a new top piece for them as 1/2 doors. Same idea but solid verses open like pictured. I later fixed the tops and made a set-up where the door tops could be slipped back onto the bottoms to make a full door option. The stock windows would not work in this set-up so I made sliders.

I could make the doors pictured but one off stuff is pricey. If you could get 5+ guys interested enough to put money up I could look into it more. I have a power hydraulic bender and could do these out of 1.5" ChMo or CRS and make beefier hinges like the Frag doors so these would actually tie the chassis up and offer real protection for rollovers too.

Come to think of it I am making a one-off exoskeleton cage for my personal HMMWV that might be of interest to some guys too. If you have seen many Land Rover Defenders, they have a similar set-up. You can roll over and never touch an aluminum body panel! Mine is ChMo 1.5" all around.

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I understand that you are not in the mass production, that's the tuff part, you can get a set of four door on fleabay for a jeep under $500.00
What would be a ballpark figure for a set a four, any ideas, maybe we can post something for a limited run of doors and see how many would be interested.
If you are around the Jeep price I would be a buyer

Bravojmc

I understand that you are not in the mass production, that's the tuff part, you can get a set of four door on fleabay for a jeep under $500.00
What would be a ballpark figure for a set a four, any ideas, maybe we can post something for a limited run of doors and see how many would be interested.
Im guessing they would be a little more pricey than a jeep. Maybe not...

As for the top, are you going to try and copy the am general top?
Id buy one for sure! If and when you do build them, put me in for (one)

911joeblow

I would need to know more details but the ones pictured are NOT structural as there is nothing to the front hinge mounts. If they are like that and using 1" CRS I would think $1K to $1.5K would do it. To get to the $500 range they would have to be on a production line likely in China.

911joeblow

As for the top, are you going to try and copy the am general top?
Id buy one for sure! If and when you do build them, put me in for (one)
Yes, they would me visually identical with three major differences. One, you would not need a hard top windshield, two I would offer rear window options (I might even make a sliding door in the back) and three the thing would NOT leak. :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks