• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cooling water temperature

gajol

Hello,

i have exchanged the voltmeter for a temperature gauge. while driving the temperature sometimes went up to 230° F. What is the maximum temperature for the engine? Is that normal?

Thanks for your advice.

cucvrus

Upper hose where it meets the engine. That 2 bolt flanged housing is the thermostat housing. Use care when extracting the 2 - 15 mm hex bolts. Sometimes the aluminum threads come out with the bolts. Good Luck and Please report back.

gajol

Fortunately, the expansion worked out well. I ordered the thermostat directly from rockauto.com in the USA. I ordered on Saturday and the parts were with me in Germany today. That was really fast. The Aluminuim part is a bit warped and wants to do the sealing with Hylomar M. I am still waiting for that now.

Attachments

gajol

here is a short update: i installed the thermostat and only sealed it with hylomar, that did not work. There was a big sourness. i have now sealed with two layers of paper seal and hylomar. it seems to work now.

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
here is a short update: i installed the thermostat and only sealed it with hylomar, that did not work. There was a big sourness. i have now sealed with two layers of paper seal and hylomar. it seems to work now.
1. Where is the gasket? I would use a gasket in conjunction with gasket sealant.
2. Is your temperature gauge electric or manual? I just had some interesting problems with electric thermostats giving me false temperature readings of 220-240 degrees while the engine was actually running 195. I ended up replacing the gauge with a mechanical and all is well. https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/running-hot-or-maybe-not.193753/
Good luck.

gajol

chevymike

I would highly suggest adding in a Cooling Upgrade Kit from Paradox to ANY 6.2/6.5. Make a huge difference in keeping the temps balanced across the block and heads as well as burping the back of the block constantly.

www.paradoxbydesign.com
I bought and recently installed one on my M1010. Haven't gotten the new gauges in so not sure what temp I am running but figured it would be good to keep temps balanced.

MarcusOReallyus

Is your temperature gauge electric or manual? I just had some interesting problems with electric thermostats giving me false temperature readings of 220-240 degrees while the engine was actually running 195.

It's not a bad idea to verify temps with an IR gun.

Keith_J

I have a mechanical coolant temperature gauge, a failing thermostat will go to 230 °F . You will feel a lot of heat from the heater core too since these don't have heater core bypass, there is always coolant flowing through the core.
I had a 4 month old Gates OE style fail on me. Now running a generic one made in Israel. 14 months no issues.