• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Copper air lines, fittings and flares?

merlot566jka

Hey guys, I have accidentally damaged my horn copper tube. I tried to find a cap or plug for the line, but nothing I had fit the point where the air tee'd off from the firewall. Also on the other end, that connects to the horn, I couldn't identify the fitting/flare there.

What size is the tube? What size and name are given to the fittings? What kind of flare is that?

I ended up smashing down the end of tube and pinching it over itself and taping it up until I can figure out what I need to repair it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A look at the parts tm to identify the item you're referring to, then a google search of the NSN, should get all the info you need.

For the best result, use the "nsn# and parttarget" in the search.

merlot566jka

Thanks doghead. Which TM would that be listed in? I don't frequent the TMs enough to readily identify which TM is used to identify copper flare fittings.

I was hoping to post here to get some better direction other than "search Google". I thought there were experts here who could recite this info from memory.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It depends on which TM's you have or like.

Either way, it would be in a "20" series of TM that ends with "P".

Here's an example(that should convince you).

A look at TM 9-2320-361-24P in the index, I quickly found " Air horn kit" and can click on a direct link to the page with the parts numbers and exploded view.

Then, a visual identification of what is needed is made. I then copy the nsn(and it shows in my google search bar, then I add "part target", then click enter...

I then click on the link from google and get something like this, http://www.parttarget.com/4730-00-782-5461_4730007825461_H0-172-6X2.html

All in about 2 minutes(typically).

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think that the copper lines that were used were thick wall, Also on the flair they double folded it to be a better end but on some it is still just a flair copper end that can be make with the hardware store flair tool. Most steel lines and some fuel fittings on the trucks use the inverted flair flair stuff or compression fittings.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Thanks, I didn't know what they are called either but they are all over the truck.
flareless tube for copper alloy 377 3/8 tube what would be a "special fitting"
Techincal Specification:
CONNECTION TYPETHREADED EXTERNAL PIPE 3RD END
CONNECTION TYPETHREADED EXTERNAL TUBE 1ST END
CONNECTION TYPETHREADED EXTERNAL TUBE 2ND END
CONNECTION STYLEFLARELESS (TUBE) 1ST END
CONNECTION STYLEFLARELESS (TUBE) 2ND END
CONNECTION STYLEPLAIN (PIPE) 3RD END
FURNISHED ITEMS AND QUANTITY2 TUBE COUPLING NUT W/SLEEVE
NOMINAL OUTSIDE DIAMETER TUBE ACCOMMODATED0.375 INCHES 1ST END
NOMINAL OUTSIDE DIAMETER TUBE ACCOMMODATED0.375 INCHES 2ND END
NOMINAL THREAD SIZE0.125 INCHES 3RD END
NOMINAL THREAD SIZE0.531 INCHES 1ST END
NOMINAL THREAD SIZE0.531 INCHES 2ND END
NONDEFINITIVE SPEC/STD DATA3B FIGURE
LEG LENGTH0.800 INCHES NOMINAL 1ST END
LEG LENGTH0.800 INCHES NOMINAL 2ND END
LEG LENGTH0.930 INCHES NOMINAL 3RD END
MATERIAL DOCUMENT AND CLASSIFICATIONSAE ASSN STD SINGLE MATERIAL RESPONSE OVERALL
MATERIALCOPPER ALLOY 377 OVERALL
SEAT ANGLE20.0 DEGREES 2ND END
SEAT ANGLE20.0 DEGREES 1ST END
SPECIFICATION/STANDARD DATA81343-J246 PROFESSIONAL/INDUSTRIAL ASSOCIATION STANDARD
THREAD CLASS2A 1ST END
THREAD CLASS2A 2ND END
THREAD QUANTITY PER INCH24 1ST END
THREAD QUANTITY PER INCH24 2ND END
THREAD SERIES DESIGNATORNPTF 3RD END
THREAD SERIES DESIGNATORUNS 2ND END
THREAD SERIES DESIGNATORUNS 1ST END

Copper
58 - 61
Iron
0.3 max
Lead
1.5 - 2.5
Remainder Each
Zn
Remainder Total
Cu + sum of named elements 99.5 min

OH, LEAD!
Don't go to California

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Flareless = compression(with ferrule).

Common soft 3/8" copper tubing.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
i am not aware of any flare fittings on the truck. that is generally used for liquid lines with low pressure. all the lines are just standard size soft copper, 1/4,3/8, 1/2. the fitting and nut is a finer thread than what you encounter in plumbing so you will have to re-use the old parts with a new ferrule. you can also use air brake line with a sleeve and nylon ferrule, all same standard sizes.

merlot566jka

Thanks Tom!! That hit the nail on the head!

I tried searching for the NSNs and corresponding "part numbers" but I found nothing.

I think that I will try to convert over to more common NPT or JIC.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
Thanks Tom!! That hit the nail on the head!

I tried searching for the NSNs and corresponding "part numbers" but I found nothing.

I think that I will try to convert over to more common NPT or JIC.
i don't know that i would 'convert' to anything as long as you have all the original fittings and parts. the line is standard and of the many trucks that i have replaced all the line on, i have still kept the original fittings

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks