• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Copper or Plastic air lines?

mhb285

I'm going to be installing a air horn I've got on my truck. I've got the t-fitting and extra fittings at my local trucks parts shop. It's got 3/8" copper lines on everything comming off the copmressor. I've got 3/8" copper tubing from the hardware store.
Should I be using DOT approved plastic air line instead?
Any thought on this?
Thanks
Mike

Angus1

I used the DOT plastic air line. You will be glad you did. It is easier to bend and snake between things. Just check and double check its not rubbing or can get caught in anything that spins.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The above comments are all appropriate. But.... I hate to admit it, but the plastic is best. It doesn't corrode, easier to run, and best of all, it doesn't work harden/fatigue and break. Like copper, it should be tied off and secured, but it will actually take quite a bit of abbrasion.

Lee in Alaska

rmgill

Wouldn't the copper need to be flexed in order to work harden it?

And plastic can degrade over time. UV especially is bad for it.

mhb285

Can you switch from copper to plastic without changing out all the connection points? The truch parts supplier says I got to buy all new hardware. I thought I could just replace the lines with the brass center piece insert , new ferrel and be good to go?
Mike

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All of the synflex brass has to have the DOT stamp on it, so to be correct you must change it out. It ain't cheap eather.

i like the copper . but use the plastic .the orignal copper has a thicker wall then the copper I found in the local stores it's just to thin . if I can I reuse what I can off the parts truck.

Barrman

Plastic on a M35 running just from the firewal area to the horn should be no problem. replacing all the copper lines with plastic could be a problem.

I put a York compressor on my M715, M35 tanks under the bed and ran DOT plastic lines between them. It would fill the tanks up, let me use it for simple stuff like an air impact to change out a flat trailer tire and stuff like that. Then I tried to air my XZL 11.00-16's up to 80 psi from 15 psi after a week of trail riding. 4-5 minutes a tire seemed too long, but I had to air them up to get home. When the 4th tire was around 50 psi, POOOOOFFF! happened. The plastic line had melted next to the compressor.

I put a foot of copper line next to the compressor to prevent this. When I was using the air to change out M35 tires during the Gasser recovery, the same thing happened. The plastic melted. I now have copper going all the way from the compressor to the air tanks. My point is plastic will hold the pressure, but not stand the heat and pressure. Think before you install it.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My '69 xm757 uses plastic airlines in some applications, like from the air tank to the gauge.
We are only talking 100psi or so and regular compression fittings are fine (plastic lines will benefit from inserts). Using plastic for air brakes is a different animal.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was thinking about installing a single-tone air horn from a Peterbilt/Kenworth/etc. in my deuce, not replacing the stock one, just adding another, one with an overhead pull-string actuator like the rigs have. I will be using copper line, it may be more expensive and harder to work with, but metal lasts a lot longer than plastic, I don't care what anyone says.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks