• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Correct 6.2 liter diesel temperature?

cjkeeliii

I just installed a mechanical temperature gauge--boy was that fun.:roll: Anyhow, it's showing a temperature of approximately 160 degrees. I know from reading the forum that the optimal temperature is between 190 and 200 degrees. So, why is mine reading so low? I know the engine has a thermostat because I have seen the water cycling through the radiator. Thanks.

Ruppster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As Westech mentioned you mount them in the heads. On the cylinder heads near the back of the engine there are a couple of block off plates. IIRC one plate already has a sensor in it. You can either modify the blank block off plate in the other head or get another plate that is set up for a sensor like the one that has a sensor in it already.

Ruppster
1985 M1009
www.dodge-semis.com

Last edited:

Armada

Another reason for running at 160 is the fact that you may have trapped air in the port where the probe is. That location is a high point in the engine and after installing the plate and probe, you will need to bleed off the air by running the engine up to temp and just slightly loosening the probe until the air bleeds out and you start to see coolant. You will probably need to do this again if you ad a block heater, or replace heater hoses, etc. You should see temps at 180 and up to 190 at highway rpms. If towing or running up long grades, temps will go up. Avoid the high temps, your head gaskets will thank you.
Do a search to get more info on the temp gauge install.

Attachments

stump

I replaced my radiator from my blazer wiyh a truck radiator. The truck radiator has a 4 core radiator and I had no heat with the right thermostat. Had to block part of the radiator with cardboard.

cjkeeliii

Thanks ARMADA for your post to this thread. I was back on here because I noticed that my temperature gauge's indication was a little hotter each time I drove the truck. I am currently around 192 degrees: up from 160 degrees. Hopefully, the air pocket theory is correct. The installation would have been simple but for the engine hoist loop. It was positioned so that the bolt holding the block-off plate would contact the hoist loop when I turned the bolt. Putting on the new block-off plate was the same situation. I couldn't move the hoist because the transmission's dipstick tube was in front of the hoist's attaching bolt. It was a real PITA.

motormayhem

You can also install the sensor in the place where the idiot light sensor is installed (front drivers head). Thats where I put mine and it was about a 10 min job ;-).

BIG_RED

Sorry for not being familiar with the term, but what do you mean 'front drivers head?" is that the one towards the back of the engine, on top of the drivers side head with a black and a yellow wire running to it? I know there is a temp sensor in the exhaust side of that head near the front (where it interferes with your ratchet while removing your power steering bracket:-x). Accidentally left it unhooked once.. I think that one is for high idle cause my truck started crappy and barely ran until i plugged the wire back in. :roll:

Jmccarty25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can also install the sensor in the place where the idiot light sensor is installed (front drivers head). Thats where I put mine and it was about a 10 min job ;-).
I attempted to do this with a Doorman sensor and guage. However, none of the adapters would fit properly in the dummy light sensor port. What set up did you use to get a proper fit. Currently, my sensor is in the water pump plug port but I'd rather have it on the engine itself.

Barrman

This was a 14 year dead thread. Some of the posters haven’t been here in a long time.

You want to put a temperature sensor on one of the block off plates at the rear of a cylinder head and can’t find a thread adaptor? Take whatever was screwed into the hole and the sensor you want to install to an autoparts store. They will probably have an adaptor for you. If not, they can tell you what the two threads are. Then you can go home and do an internet search for such an adapter. I will be in your mail box a few days later.

Jmccarty25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This was a 14 year dead thread. Some of the posters haven’t been here in a long time.

You want to put a temperature sensor on one of the block off plates at the rear of a cylinder head and can’t find a thread adaptor? Take whatever was screwed into the hole and the sensor you want to install to an autoparts store. They will probably have an adaptor for you. If not, they can tell you what the two threads are. Then you can go home and do an internet search for such an adapter. I will be in your mail box a few days later.
Copy. Actually I was able to find a threaded plate to change the block off plate and do exactly what you recommended. The part numer is 14028949 in case someone finds this this old thread again. A pic from another
Thread below. Thanks you for following up!
1694789272594.png

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks