• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Correct Batteries

militarysteel

i am not impressed with those deka batteries, but we should be happy they are not great. because that might be the a deciding factor to drop the truck to GL, !!!! so we should be happy they are junk,

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I picked up my M35A2 from Fort Indiantown Gap in August 2009, it had Interstate UT6Ls installed. They have a date of 2007 on them. So far they have not let me down and they are now three years old. I have noticed that since I got my deuce, a few of the cells need more water than others. I always keep them topped off with distilled water. I have a solargizer, but have never installed it as I intended to hook it up to my MEP-003A genset.

SEAFIRE

The Navy started dumping 6TLs for Ultimas years ago in most of our Support Equipment. Now pretty much everything has the red tops in it.
We've been using the Optima batteries for quite some time now, they last longer than the U6TL batteries which don't seem to like off-roading very well. We recently went to the Marine/RV Optima blue-top model in one of our deuces. the extra terminals work out great.

Doesn't someone make battery holders for Ultima's to fit in the deuce battery box?
The local Interstate Dealer got us our first Optima batteries and the U6TL adapters for them. The adapter keeps the battery from moving around and raises it to the height of a U6TL.

Last edited:

renovate7

Remember that most places charge a $9 core charge per battery but if you have the UT6L or equal take them to a recycler and you can get $17. Each of my batteries weighed 74 lbs. Saved $16 on the new ones.

mikey

i need to buy two batteries for my first deuce recovery next week. I have searched for battery replacement and read most of the threads that came up. From what I gather you can use 6tl, group 34, group 31, without any mods or you can use others such as group 24, or anything else that fits as long as if you use 2x4 to block them in place and as long as you get enough cca's. in some cases you need a bigger bone. please correct me if anything there is incorrect.

My local interstate warehouse has group 34 and group 31 refurbs $44.95 and $59.95 each respectively. those prices includes the core charge as i dont have batteries to turn in.

when you say group x, that describes the battery size, correct? so any group 34 or group 31 will fit in the deuce with no mods, correct? is either one of those, group 34 or group 31, better than the other?

thanks

mikey

emr

I have a pair of good charged up and ready to go 6tls for 150 cash in roxbury nj if U are in a very bad need , they are currently on a desulphator maintainer call if u want em, 973 219 4499

tractorpuller1

I use the Yellow Optima batteries. They seen to crank faster and have no acid to leak out or fumes to eat my metal. They have to be packed in (I used wood) but they have nothing to spill out on a hillside either. They are also very impact resistant, and can deliver more amps charging or discharging with out warping the plates.

Rustygears

Solargizer Mounting

I put my solargizer panel on top of the hardtop cab, passenger rear corner and dressed the cable inside mesh sleeving down the back of the cab. I used RTV (silicone sealer) to attach the panel without drilling holes and to also anchor the sleeving to the outside back cab wall along the brace.

I mounted the electronics box inside the battery compartment on the outside of the battery drawer with the LED facing forward so you can see it by just cracking the battery door open.

I used a powerpole connector to provide a disconnect between the electronics box and the solargizer cable to the batteries.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks