• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Correct Belts for M1008 and M1009

Jackal1actual

I'm sure this is in the wrong place, but where is the power steering belt located? This is my first project vehicle and I'm learning as I go. Its a 1986 M1008.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
On the drivers side of the engine.

Have you downloaded the tech manuals for your truck? The parts manual has detailed diagrams of the majority of the parts of the truck.

CUCV Belts.jpg

Last edited:

M1009 NEWBEE 2013

Yes, It looks like you are missing the Power steering pump belt. The alt belt also fits on the power steering pump pulley, so that's why it is working. Once you add the belt, you should get better/easier steering.

sochuck

Hey guys, recently I purchased the 7575 belt for the driver's side alternator. It was not a good fit, ended up taking all of the free play out
of the adjustment to get it mounted. Just saying...:?

cstarbard

I just replaced all my belts today-

For O'Reilly fans, I used the following three belts and they were a great fit:

Masterpro 7450, for PS pump,

Masterpro 7575, driver side alt belt,

Masterpro 7485, passenger side alt belt

These are made like the goodyear gatorback belts so they run pretty quiet, and they are only $6.99 ea! They are also just a tad shorter than all respective Gates belts listed in the original post up top, which was helpful because before I was maxed out on adjustment for the driver side alt.

Chris

HelluvaEngineer

I just replaced all my belts today-

For O'Reilly fans, I used the following three belts and they were a great fit:
Masterpro 7575, driver side alt belt,
Chris
Hate to be "that guy" again, but I just tried to replace my driver's side with an O'Reilly 7575 (which is clearly marked 57.75 dia on the box) and that sucker won't slip over the alternator pulley at full inward adjustment. Any tips or tricks here? Thinking I'll have to exchange the two I bought because I'd sure hate to wrestle with one of these on the side of the road.

In all fairness, the alt it not quite going all the way to the left of the adjustment range - like it's a little bigger than the bracket was intended for. Probably normal though?

cstarbard

I have since had to sell my cucv :( but as I remember the driver side alt belt was a particular pain.

There is a very well hidden slide adjustment bolt down below the driver alt that needs to be loosened as I recall to get full adjustment. Is that one loosened too?

It's possible the belt you got is funny, could swap for another with same p n at OReilly and give that a whack. I also applied aerosol belt conditioner to my belts to help slip them on.

Chris

HelluvaEngineer

There is a very well hidden slide adjustment bolt down below the driver alt that needs to be loosened as I recall to get full adjustment. Is that one loosened too?
Chris
Hmmm, no. I only loosened the two bolts that hold the bottom of the alt secure. To be honest it's still 90 degrees here and I was being attacked by mosquitoes at the time and didn't see anything resembling an adjuster on the bottom. I'll try to find a diagram and look again. That could certainly be the issue.

cucvrus

Take a socket get it partially started on the alternator pulley and turn the alternator nut/pulley clock wise and it will slip right on. Adjust from there and all will be well. No hidden bolts on Gen 1 or Gen 2. Unless I have been doing it wrong since 1983. Possible.

HelluvaEngineer

I pulled the diagram out of the maintenance manual (well viewed the pdf) and it doesn't indicate a lower adjuster. My belt won't even start on the pulley though. It makes no sense. Thinking it might be a quality control problem.

cstarbard

Like others said, turning the pulley should help as well which I forgot, if you can get the belt started

I'll take a picture of what I think
I remember on my dads cucv later today. It wasn't one of the bolts holding alt to bracket, I thought it was weird that I had to mess with this third bolt I'm thinking of but I know it helped me get the belt on

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is your alt going all the way over? Maybe take the top bolt all the way out. Then install the belt and if nessessary pry the alt over enough to reinstall the bolt. Also you may have to loosen the bolts holding the upper bracket to the engine. The top of the alt casting may be rubbing the bracket. This would not allow the alt to swing all the way over. I have changed a lot of CUCV belts of different trucks over the last 20 years. I have never had one give that much trouble. Maybe the belt is really to short even though it is marked correctly. Try compairing it with another belt, it just does not seem right.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks